Shell32.dll error on boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell32.dll error on boot

I recently uninstalled internet explorer 6-on a different computer than this one.(control panel-install/uninstall-Microsoft Internet explorer 6 and tools)I rebooted when the prompt said so, and now it wont boot up. I can get to just the background, and then i get a shell32.dll error. If i hit close, nothing happens. I get a different error in safe mode, then, on its close, i get the shell32.dll error again. I am using Windows ME.

Since the Shell is the main kernel of the OS, this error normally means it is time to format/reinstall. What you might want to do first, though, is to install WinME again over the existing copy on your computer. This will sometimes allow the corrupted system files to be overwritten with a good version and the system will become stable again.

This does not always work (don't even know if I can say it works often at all since I'm not an ME fan), but you'll want to make sure that you backup any critical data before you try this. Since it is a shell error, you should be able to boot from a boot disk into a DOS mode and copy any important data to another partition or onto floppy.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

If ya have the System Restore facility enabled just roll back to a time before the problem occurred and this can be done in safe mode. :smokin:

Comment

As I stated before, I don't care for WinME, but will this really work for a corrupted system? It was my understanding that the system restore was for dodgey drivers, not system files.

:?: :?: :?:
        My Toys

Comment

It will work for drivers and programs so long as it hasn't been disabled to save disk space. :smokin:

Comment

i cant boot in safe mode, ill try dos

Comment

oh, and how would i copy my data to a different partition.-i have tried to reinstall ME, but it wont run- can i run it through dos...if so, how?

Comment

Here are some very basic DOS commands that should help you out...

dir
                Gives a listing of files in the directory (folder) you're currently in.

copy
                Copies specified file(s) to a new location.

format
                allows you to perform a full format of a designated drive.

You should be able to type the command name follwed by a /? to get some help and syntax usage for the commands. This should allow you to at least get a backup copy of important data so that if the installation fails, then you can scrap it and start fresh.
                My Toys

Comment

We ran into this problem on a Win95 system and the way we fixed it was actually quite simple, we just re-installed IE 5.5 sp2. That should work.

Comment

Originally posted by ralexander
                    We ran into this problem on a Win95 system and the way we fixed it was actually quite simple, we just re-installed IE 5.5 sp2. That should work.
                    How can he reinstall something if he can't actually get into a working operating environment? :)

Comment

and how would i copy my data to a different partition
                      Whenever you are working with a drive that risks the data on it, (and the data is valulable) the best way to save it is to get the drive into a different computer, (or at least boot from a different drive) and get your stuff out.

If all of a sudden my main HD started being ghey, (and if it was the only computer I had) I'd pop in a 2 gig'er with a generic install of win98, and grab the valulable stuff off the drive. 2GB you say!! yea. 2GB is all I would need because all of the media content I have is already backed up elsewhere, mainly its own drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X