No announcement yet.

whats the best OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the reason they've put win2k on em is cause its good - XP's just better, but it takes a while to notice the benefits:devil:
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar
      WinXP Rules
      i second that :D :thumb:
      At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

bah.....winXP is no more than a service pack/upgrade to w2k.....:p
        p-two.net

Comment

I say that winXP is the best!!! :thumb:

Comment

I was looking at the same thread at [H] about a week ago. XP results here are roughly double theirs over double W2k. I liked XP, but the copy I barrowed developed a flaw in the crack, about 2wks after installation. I pulled it before I got to exprence the MS lockup. I've had other similar experences with barrowed copies. I decided to go back to W2k, Til I buy a copy.
            there a few things that i don't like about MS current efforts:

1) you need a copy for ever computer at home, work ok, but home? In my house thats, 5 copies. Not until the the price drops considerable.

2) I don't like the idea of MS running around in side my rig, without my permission.

3) MS just assume they have too rights, considering $$$$$ they made, and the # of operating systems I bought over the years.

The best overall Is 98se considering the overall benifits gains over the others and the # of years of viable service it has provided. I'm running W2k, because it's modist preformance gains are nice, and my box is my box. theirs my $.02 worth. :thumb:

Comment

WinXP is not just a service pack for 2k. It has many new features (like DLL protection and support for XPress link in the detonator XP's), not to mention it is much faster. My only problem is all the newbized control panels, etc. but you can turn those off.

Comment

I think I've got a bite :D
                All you winXP'ers might want to have a quick read of this little gem as well.....
                p-two.net

Comment

hehehe.. nice try bern.. i just looked at that article and... umm.. hang on.. they're gonna know about all the sites i've been looking at.. ****!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! *formats HDD*

Comment

Heh...its not so bad if your just surfing but if you use it at work you might not want it sending confidential memo's to redmond. One has to ask the question of what else does MS have in store when .NET and subscription software get going? With MS having 90% of the market there is not a lot of room left to expand into so they need to change their system of profit generation, Can you imagine a scenario when your OS stops working when your monthly rental is late? Thats something I never want to have to worry about.
                    p-two.net

Comment

As far as Microsoft OS's go I think WinXP is Uncle Gate's best yet. It is a good OS but my all time fav is Solaris 7...It makes an admin's job alittle easier.

Comment

WIN XP!!!!:D

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper

i second that :D :thumb:
                          And I third it, even though so far I haven't been able to get Rollercoaster Tycoon running under XP :)

Comment

Windows XP is too new and still could stand a service pack yet. Windows 2000 is the best MS OS to date. 2k is not the most gamer friendly, but the games I ran on it worked fine (hey, I got my FPS fix with UT). XP is Windows 2000 for the Home user. The only reason I got XP is because it was $5 through college:D

I think MS has geared XP waaaaay too much toward noobs than vets--which is fine until you realize what a pain in the ass it is to turn or remove much of the OS's stuff.

XP is for the users that believe that AOL is the best thing since sliced bread. XP is a good OS, but it is highly overrated by people.
                            It's just Windows 2000 with a face lift.

-MorganL

Comment

Facelift... Yes
                              Newb Oriented... Yes

But let's take a look at another factor in this new system; namely, it is a Win2k with decent driver support! Crappy drivers is the main reason that I stuck with Win98SE. While the NT kernel is infinately more stable than the 9x one, the poor performance and overall problems that cropped up because of poor/no Win2k drivers kept a LOT of folks from it.

WinXP is the promise that Microsoft made long ago... the merging of the NT kernel with the usability of a 9x platform.

Don't get me wrong; the new OS needs a huge service pack pronto. But it is overall the best GUI based OS available, and has better driver support than anything in it's history.

But I'll still stick with my answer to the poll...
                              DOS RULES ;)
                              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                              My Toys

Comment

Even in a GUI world, the command-line is still here to stay.
                                I'm not much of a DOS fan, but I do see it's uses. I just like some eye candy for me.

My philophy: Dos may be/is dead, but the command line isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X