unable to load linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to load linux

Hey i got my hands on a amd 600mhz dell and i tried to install Thiz linux which came with one of my motherboards, and it hangs during boot up after instalation, i was wondering if possibly gateway has locked it to run only DOS?

Could be a hardware problem, have you tried any other distro?
    p-two.net

Comment

where does it hang? it might help out

Comment

i've tried redhat too and it hung in a different place, the system is capable of loading both windows 98 and win 2k, but both linux versions i've tried have hung on bootup. I think i'm just gonna go buy a different system when i get the money for it

Comment

Check the drive jumpers, make sure that they are not set to cable select.
          p-two.net

Comment

it asked for ntldr when i was trying to flash the bios as maybe Gateway had buddied up with microsoft or something any idea's on how to find NTLDR on a system without any microsoft products loaded? Yes i have formatted since any versions of windows have been on the hd, hell i've even put in a new fresh hd as the otherone broke some how, it was just loading and i heard a wretched sound.

Comment

sounds like it still has a boot sector from NT4/win2000/XP on it.

you can remedy that by re partitioning the hard drive..

Comment

I had that same msg when I was trying to install debian on my system. If your not able to install it and that's the problem i had to boot from my Debian cd to install. Make sure this is set in the bios.

:bounce2:

Comment

I was just having this problem (NTLDR MISSING) on my system same setup...new drives and such. I had the bios set to boot from the CDrom but I forgot to uncheck the TRY OTHER BOOT DEVICES setting. once I unchecked it i was able to get right into set up. also found this on M$'s help site for anyone else that is having this problem:MS HELP SITE INFO

hope this helps anyone else out

Comment

Working...
                  X