red hat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red hat question

i just finish downloading this red hat program from www.linuxiso.org and i was wondering if this is a free prgram??

also,,do i really have to burn all 5 cd's tat i had to download???

red hat is a linux distro, Linux is an Operating system, not just a program

and yes it is free if you download it, but the free version dosn't have any support included

you don't need to burn all 5 CDs, just the first 2-3 depending on the type of installation you want to do

http://www.redhat.com/

if you spent the time to download all 5 CDs, you might as well burn them all. If you had looked at the links when you downloaded them, only the first 3 say install...the last 2 are the code for programers. You don't even need the 3rd CD for most workstation and pc setups

Comment

wat does it mean by no supported need?

Comment

do'h! i mean wat does it mean when u said, no supported included

Comment

He's saying since you downloaded RedHat for free, instead of buying it retail either from them or a store, if you were to call them for help, they would say no. Basically, you get no help from them. I believe you can use their web site and e-mail their support department, though.

Comment

there is also some manuals and such that come with the retail version...but they can be downloaded in pdf form

and as far as a lack of support, there is plenty of help to be found on the net

Comment

k,i burned the ISO files in NERO 6,which has ISO supported. THen,when i restart my computer,nothing happens?!?!?. I was confused. I went to see if the CD had the ISO file in it. it had. it was around 600 MB. (and i putted in my master CD-rom drive)

i am trying to use the linux red hat on my win 98 computer at work. it is a HP. only 64 mb of ram. and i think is a Asus board.

Comment

o,,do u mean that the RED HAT from www.linuxiso.org is not a Operation system? so,how do i get to use RED HAT??? do i need to buy something???

Comment

:wow: red hat IS an operating system! It is a Linux Distro! omg...

have you done any reading on linux at all?

did you just stick in a cd just to see what would happen?

please, please do some reading first

Comment

Originally posted by mr.intel4_rules
                    k,i burned the ISO files in NERO 6,which has ISO supported. THen,when i restart my computer,nothing happens?!?!?. I was confused. I went to see if the CD had the ISO file in it. it had. it was around 600 MB. (and i putted in my master CD-rom drive)

i am trying to use the linux red hat on my win 98 computer at work. it is a HP. only 64 mb of ram. and i think is a Asus board.
                    RedHat is an operating System (ie a replacement for Windows 98). You need to have unpartitioned free hard disk space to install it (or a blank hard disk).

As for burning the ISO file, it doesn't sound like you have done it correctly. It seems you have just put the .iso file on to a CD as you would do with a normal file. This is not the correct way to do it.

Under Nero you'll need to select the "Burn Image" option from the "File" menu then select the ISO file you want to burn to then create a CD that has all the same information as is held withing the ISO file. When you look at this CD in your PC after it is created it will contain many files not just the one .iso file.

Comment

make sure you use CD1 when you're re-boot. :)

Comment

Linuxiso have instructions for burning an iso with nero here.
                        p-two.net

Comment

did you just stick in a cd just to see what would happen?

please, please do some reading first
                          lol... I can see the next question... "So, what's lilo? grub??" ;)

Comment

where's the IE?????

hehehe :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                            X