No announcement yet.

Stupid Red Hat Question (I'm new to linux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Red Hat Question (I'm new to linux)

I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my Laptop and am very impressed with its stability and features. I just can't figure out how to do a install a new package. I downloaded some .rpm files and double clicked them . A message came up and said that the package had been installed.

My question is Now what? I can't find anything to do with these supposably installed packages (I can't even find them!) :snip: :snip:

Any help would be appreciated

By the way I guess I should introduce myself:
    I am a 19 year old college student at the University of Redlands in Southern California and I am trying to convert to Linux.

Thanx: party ha : party ha

I use Slackware, so I don't believe in RPMs. They cause bad habits. It's been a while since I've used RPMs, the only info I have for you is how to install them from command line:

http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/use.html

And there is a command to find out what it insalls
    it is:

rpm -qpl whatever.rpm

from the output of that, you should be able to determine where it installed it.

Later

Comment

heh, seems like only yesterday I was asking such questions...

Anyhoo, welcome to the linux world NewTarball. Dont get too attached to RedHat, as your skills progress and you knowledege about linux broadens, youll soon want to cast off the RedHat shell and crawl into a nice, roomy Slackware one. :)

Comment

Thanx for the help. I was finally able to install real player on my comp.

wings: :D

Comment

awaits usual responces to above mentioned app :D

Comment

What responses? I know Real Player, but what type of responses would that warrant? :D

Comment

Not from me as I reckon ppl should always use what they're comfortable with. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ah, I get it. Mplayer it is for me. Hard to get running with a GUI, but it seems to support everything.

Comment

Typical linux nerds would go out of their way to gget the realplayer file converted to a more efficient format anyway. :p

ah yes, then there is mplayer.

Its installed, its running state is another matter. Itll run, just wont detect the dvd in my drive. Hell, wont detect there is even a dvd-capable drive present. More coffee should fix the problem, but then again- thats my excuse for everything.

Even installing the latest bleeding edge dropline (which includes all css related libraries and a special xine package) fails to let me watch a dvd in linux.
                  woe is me.

Comment

Do you have a /dev/dvd entry Bahamut Zer0?
                    Here is mine,
                    [code:1:fa92f3fcd8]
                    bern@grendel bern$ ll /dev/dvd
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Dec 20 14:07 /dev/dvd -> sr0
                    bern@grendel bern$
                    [/code:1:fa92f3fcd8]
                    It's a symlink to /dev/sr0 because I'm using scsi-emulation on my secondary ide controller (dvd on master and cdrw on slave). For a non scsi-emulation setup the command "ln -s /dev/hd? /dev/dvd" will do the job (replace the ? with the correct letter for your drive).
                    p-two.net

Comment

OK I'll say it REAL PLAYER SSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HORRIBLY!!!!!

...there

Comment

Working...
                      X