Which way to turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way to turn?

OK, I have decided to take on the Linux challenge. I was kinda surfing various sites about impressions. I thought I was going go with Red Hat 8. I saw a bible that came with the CDs on Amazon for about US$35. Not a big deal as far as price (I know there are places to download Linux free), I was more interested in the book that came with it. Only a handful of reviews for the book, but there was a comment that made me think that RH sort of forces you into a Windows type environment at the expense of being exposed to some of the basic Linux components. Somewhere along the way I came across Slackware 8.1. Seems very rustic/basic/ground level -- pretty much what I was looking for (I think). Later I came across some "Linux made easy"- type article that said to avoid Slackware, but did not give any clear reasoning for that declaration. I would appreciate any insight from anyone who has a good impressions of whatever distro they are familiar with. It doesn't have to be the simplest, I don't mind making mistakes or putting in some work. I can even handle bouts of utter frustration, but I want to be able to tinker and understand it. And at the end have a useable system that I can configure the way I like. I guess I am looking for insight as well as opinion.

If you made it through the entire post in one read, I applaud your perserverance. :laugh:

Thx,
    JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Well JealousMidget since you have never tried any version of Linux. I think any choice would be a good one. You really don't need a book. There are so many Linux sites and forums that offer help.I have used Caldera,Mandrake,Lycoris and Libranet and I like them all.I have heard that Slackware is one of the more difficult distro's to learn.Which probably means you will learn more about linux.Remember it's not what you ride but that you ride :thumb: Good luck with your Linux experience.
    <!-- Begin Code Amber Ticker code. -->
    <P ALIGN=CENTER>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
    </script>
    </P>
    <!-- end of Code Amber Ticker code (c)Copyright codeamber.org 2002, 2003-->

Comment

I'm about to do this myself though I'll be tryin' Lycoris and Mandrake 9.0 as they the most n00b friendly for us to kick off with so all my research so far has provided. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Mandrake 9 will be the easiest to install and set up but slackware will teach you more about how linux, networking and computers work than you thought there was to know.
        p-two.net

Comment

I appreciate the responses. I will probably start with slackware since I have already started downloading it. I still have to put the hardware for this venture in its new home. I suppose if I get totally stumped with that. I may try another distro and come back to the slackware later. The Linux project is for my own knowledge and to have an alternative to Big Brother M$, but I guess I would be disappointed with myself if I got everything up and running on a Linux box and never got to find out what the "Red Button" does. :hammer:

I imagine that I you will probably hear my cries of agony, when I get knee deep into this and pleading for help.

Thx,
          JM

Comment

If you find your self stuck my icq number is in my profile, or you can register at LQ.
            p-two.net

Comment

Had the first but registered now. :thumb:

Comment

Me too :wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Bern
                  If you find your self stuck my icq number is in my profile, or you can register at LQ.
                  I guess i took this advise long before you made that post, eh?

Comment

Working...
                  X