Hello from RedHat Linux 8.0 + Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from RedHat Linux 8.0 + Problem

Well this is certainly better than my first with MDK a few years ago!

Took me maybe an hour to get the net working right though (didn't read the right documentation :rolleyes: ). At least my SB Audigy worked right away. I had had concerns about that.

I am having a problem though that I'd like to see if you guys can help with.

I'm using KDE.

I have 2 CD Rom devices. One Sony CDRW, and a Pioneer DVD drive. The Sony is the Master, and mounted just fine. I'm listening to a music cd right now to make sure it STAYS fine.

However, the Pioneer is the Slave and I cannot get it to play any music (using XMMS, or KSCD), or view music CD's. Through Konqueror, I can get it to access pretty much all the data CD's I put in the tray.

Now, I think I get the idea of mounting and unmounting, so when I need to use the drive, I need to mount it. I'm getting very familiar with shell.. :D

Loading cdrom's to access CD's:
    "mount /mnt/cdrom" for the Sony CDRW
    "mount /mnt/cdrom1" for the Pioneer

Unloading cdrom's to remove CD's from drive:
    "umount /mnt/cdrom" Sony
    "umount /mnt/cdrom1" Pioneer

Ok, after an hour of general messing around (setting up email, getting a desktop bg for all 4 desktops LOL, getting Gaim setup), the thought occured to me to check the settings within XMMS and KSCD.. after changing device from "/mnt/cdrom" to "/mnt/cdrom1/" and "/dev/cdrom" to "/dev/cdrom1", I can get them to load and play CD's from the Pioneer drive.

However, is there a way to make it so both programs can play from either drive, or will I just have to always use one CD drive for music CD's?

Also, Konqueror doesn't show any data on a music CD when the /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom1 folders are opened. Is this normal?

When I insert a CD it looks like it may be auto mounted by RHL8. However, when I type "umount /mnt/cdrom1" and then "mount /mnt/cdrom1" in Shell, it gives me this error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1, or too many mounted file systems

Hmm.. Well that's it for now. I'm sure I'll be back in an hour or so :laugh:
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

In your /etc/fstab file you can specify filesystem types and the such. Do a 'man fstab' for more info.
    heres how my dvd drive is mounted in fstab:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

you can simplify the mount process by doing a 'mount -t'.
    I *think* its -t. man mount if in doubt. :) (whatever the switch is, it just scans your fstab file and mounts any drives currently un-mounted)

A nice & quick way I mount/unmount & even eject drives in KDE is by right-clicking the desktop and selecting 'Create new->link to device'
    Select CD or HDD and then set its mount point on the last tab. (/dev/cdrom) Give it a proper icon too. (theres burner icons and cd icons with 'DVD' on them that come with KDE)

From then on, when you shove a cd in, just right-click the drives icon on the desktop and select mount. easy.
    right-click->unmount to bugger it off, and right-click->eject to spit it out.

Comment

You don't mount audio cd's because you can only mount something with a file system, and audio cd's don't have a file system. When your looking at them in konqueror your really using konq's audio cd browser, it's not an automount. AFAIK xmms can only be configured for one device at a time.
      PS: After you have it set up you can do cool things in a treminal like open and close the drive,
      [code:1:a988aee828]
      bern@grendel bern$ eject cdrom
      bern@grendel bern$ eject -t cdrom
      bern@grendel bern$ mount /dev/cdrom
      bern@grendel bern$ cd /mnt/cdrom/
      bern@grendel cdrom$ l
      total 1420
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8385 Jun 19 23:09 ANNOUNCE.8_1
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18606 Apr 7 2002 BOOTING.TXT
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 208815 Jun 20 00:36 CHECKSUMS
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 276781 Jun 20 00:38 CHECKSUMS.md5
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17976 Jun 10 1994 COPYING