Auto run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto run?

hey, i've just installed mandrake 9 on an old machine (p166).
    i want to be able to control this thing via the network, so i'm going for VNC, now here is my problem, how can i get the VNC server to start up automatically when i turn the comp on (it automatically logs into my user account)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

VNC? so you want to control the GUI? otherwise SSH would be good...otherwise, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and chuck in there ./path/to/vnc

this'll load every time the computer boots...hopefully :)
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

well, i'm using the atomic guide and there are a few places in teh guide which don't quite work properly so i have to switch back from my comp to the old comp and pluging and unpluging the monitor cable is starting to get really annoying so i thought VNC :)

but now i'm reinstalling and making it NOT start the X Window System. so hopefully all should be good now :)
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Andy, you don't need to reinstall for that, remember its linux :D
        all you have to do is edit /etc/inittab and change the line that looks like id:3:initdefault:
        in yourcase that #3 would've been a 5...
        this link can explain RunLevels (which is what your dealing with there)..http://ctdp.tripod.com/os/linux/howl...rks/index.html
        At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

nah, i'm changing packages and stuff as well... so i thought it would just be easier to reinstall :\
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

ok, a little update.

i've re installed, but now for some reason, when i make NFS start on boot, i get his error:

Starting NFS Quotas: Cannot register service: RPC: Unalbe to reviece; errno=Connection refused
            rpc.rquotad: unable to register (RQUOTAPROG, RQUOTAVERS, udp)
            [FAILED]

Starting NFS daemon:

and it stops there :\, any one know the solution?
            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Are you using NFS [Network File Systems] at all? if not disable NFS..

you would only need NFS if you were exporting NFS file systems to other Unix boxes. if you are exporting NFS file systems to Windows boxes you'll need a client on the PC side to access the file systems. It much easier to just use samba to do that.

Comment

Yep, NFS can and should be disabled if you dont require its services. SMB (Samba) is alot easier to setup. Checkout SWAT. (Samba Web Administration Tool) I think the T stands for Tool, dunno. But you just login to it from any browser window, local or not. Like Webmin.

Im not sure if MDK comes with either of those administration tools though. There are more detailed and easier to follow guides out on the net than that Atomic one.

Comment

The man page agrees -

[code:1:1a279f4859]SWAT(8) SWAT(8)

NAME
                  swat - Samba Web Administration Tool

SYNOPSIS
                  nmblookup [ -s <smb config file> ] [ -a ]
                  [/code:1:1a279f4859]
                  SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                  Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

ok, cool, i thought i was missing out on something special there :o

BTW i use webmin to admin samba :)
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Webmin doesnt have half the settings SWAT does though. Webmin includes a link to SWAT though. Get the hint?

:)

Once thing ill give Webmin is its a helluva lot nicer to setup samba users and convert unix users than in webmin. Maybe it was just konq playing up, but everytime SWAT opened the add user popup/any popup it would be so small both in size & text it was near impossible to read/use. bah. Ill have to try it in mozilla to confirm a konq stuffup.

Comment

Working...
                      X