Im Moving to Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the info guys. :thumb:

I head off and read all this up while I look for a few parts to complete another PC. I'll see how far I get with Lycoris before I have to come back and bother ya's again. Oh and in case ya wonderin' my choice of distro it's because I think very shortly ppl are goin' to start askin' me for Linux oses with their PC's very shortly and these ppl will be begginers as well.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

You'll be pleasantly surprised at just how smooth it is.....needs a bit of font tweaking but you'll find that in the community arena there...its really active....the new version coming soon will have all the eye candy that the larger distro's have......just that bit easier to install and work though....I'm currently using MDK9 but will probably change over on release of the new upgrade....lotsaluck and enjoy...just think outside that M$ square we have all been painted into.....little old me built my own firewall (a lot being plageurised though but with personal mods).....try doing that with limited experience in Windows.....you'll luv it..just give it a try and think a bit differently

Comment

Qtella? I'll have to try that! Thanks. BTW, I tried NapShare and it might work, but there's the usual Gnutella problem of server loading!

Comment

OK, i moved... how long did that take? Too long.

Im not quite feeling that comfortable here in Linux, but its OK. I need to learn alot. Im using RH7.3. Still wanna try Slackware, Lycoris, and Mandrake. Laters guys.

Comment

Whew! I got LimeWire to work a month or so ago thanks to some folks on Neowin! My HP Scanjet 2200c is a full go and sonce 2002/12/20, my system is 100% anti-Microsoft! :D Might want to try Red Hat 8.1 once it gets released, though! That way, I'll know some more alternatives to Mandrake.

Comment

If it's a computer compnonent other than a Win modem (not saying you can't get winmodems to work..but, anyway..) I gaurntee someone, somewhere has written drivers for it! And it's included in just about every mainstream distro, or very easy to find.

And, you might wanna try Slackware last. It's a distro all in it's own. heh ;x

Linux is pretty simple really, you only make it as hard as you want it. You can stick with stock kernel configuations, and distrobutions, or you can be as hardcore as building your own distros and writing everything yourself.. heh Give it a month, or..two, you'll get the hang of it.

Comment

You can check out Gimp since there is a version for Windows (its not as good as the Linux version) and see if it will work for you.

The url is: http://www.gimp.org/

Comment

Working...
                X