Need help installing Ubuntu via USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help installing Ubuntu via USB

Hello, thanks for any help you can provide.

I have a samsung netbook that I wanted to rejuvenate, so I tossed in a SSD and I am attempting to install Ubuntu.

Intel Atom N450 CPU
    Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series
    2gb Crucial Ram

The SSD is installed and the BIOS recognizes it without fault.

I downloaded Ubuntu to a thumb drive from here: Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
    I plugged the thumb drive into a USB port and started the netbook.
    I get an error message that says this: "Pen Drive Without Operating System. Remove Pen Drive and Reboot. Operating System Not Found".

I have changed the boot order back and forth between the SSD and USB with no change in results.

Notes:
    #1 This is a netbook with NO CD/DVD drive. I cannot install the drivers for an external drive until I have an operating system, so Ubuntu on disk does not seem to be an option.
    #2 This is a completely new and blank SSD, I cannot download and install directly from ubuntu.com
    #3 I have found advice on the web encouraging me to use a pc currently using Ubuntu and create a system image disc. I do not currently have a pc with ubuntu already installed so this is a problem.
    #4 I would be willing to try another Linux setup like Fedora if that has a workaround for this issue.
    #5 I would be willing to install just about any free operating system via thumbdrive if only temporarily so I could then install ubuntu, fedora, etc.

Thank you for any help
    Matt

Re: Need help installing Ubuntu via USB

Hi Matt,

It sounds like you downloaded an ISO image of Ubuntu and just stuck it on the USB which wont work I'm afraid.

The easiest way to install Linux is to download a program called Universal USB installer from a working windows machine. Open it up, select the version of Linux you want, navigate to it on your drive (Or it will download a version for you) and tick the format check box. It will take about 10 - 15 mins and your Linux USB drive will be bootable.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Just saw this post is old and no help given? Wow.....

Comment

Re: Need help installing Ubuntu via USB

Originally posted by Muzzier View Post
      Hi Matt,

It sounds like you downloaded an ISO image of Ubuntu and just stuck it on the USB which wont work I'm afraid.

The easiest way to install Linux is to download a program called Universal USB installer from a working windows machine. Open it up, select the version of Linux you want, navigate to it on your drive (Or it will download a version for you) and tick the format check box. It will take about 10 - 15 mins and your Linux USB drive will be bootable.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Just saw this post is old and no help given? Wow.....
      That's Ok, better sometime than never (can't call you late IMO.)

Why don't people reply? Good question...

What percentage of people that browse this forum actually post in it? 1%?

Then how many of those use Ubuntu? Another 1%? (No offense, just sayin')

Then some of those that knew the answer might have felt the OP should know better, or learn it for themselves. I will say the download page gives you the impression you can just download the file onto a USB drive and use it, with a link on making it bootable farther down on the page.

Thank you for being kind...

Comment

Working...
      X