lycoris linux (or linux in general)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lycoris linux (or linux in general)

OK, so i got a machine thats laying around and not doing nothing, and i want to check out Linux, partically lycoris. But where do i get the install files from??
    I got to lycoris.org and their download section has whole bunch of stuff there, but where do i get the basic OS install disk from??
    Am i just used to windowze too much? or is there a easy way to download all the files in one package???
    Please help me out here.

After quickly looking at their website, it does not look like they offer it for free. Go to distrowatch.com to find the latest and greatest information about all the different versions of linux. There are many to choose from, and all are NOT free. I would go with either Redhat or Mandrake. Good for all, newbs and elite root'rs alike!

You would also be smart to buy a linux for newbs book. It is not structured like windows and WILL be confusing....so find a good book and be prepared to read.

go to redhat.com or mandrake.com and look for a iso download. It will probably be multiple cd's and depending on your connection might take awhile to download. If dial up you might benefit from purchasing a copy at your local computer store...

Click here for the madrake version.

Have fun!: peace2:

Comment

In actual fact Lycoris is the easiest of all Linux distros to use and is aimed straight at n00bs plus is very XP'ish so that ppl don't get too alienated with it. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yeah, lycoris looks the most like windows...but it is still Linux. But the redhat and mandrake installer will be just as easy for newbs, and they will install in 30 minutes and have you boot into gnome or kde....both easy to navigate if you can navigate windows.

The definate advantage to Readhat or Mandrake is you can download them for free!!!! Plus Redhat 8.0 is supposed to be geared toward the regualr desktop computer (if you want to install it that way)

I guess it really does not matter, they all will serve the purpose of being an inexpensive O/S....:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
          OK, so i got a machine thats laying around and not doing nothing, and i want to check out Linux, partically lycoris. But where do i get the install files from??
          I got to lycoris.org and their download section has whole bunch of stuff there, but where do i get the basic OS install disk from??
          Am i just used to windowze too much? or is there a easy way to download all the files in one package???
          Please help me out here.
          Lycoris is indeed free :thumb: Go here Lycoris You want cd1 en binary.iso
          <!-- Begin Code Amber Ticker code. -->
          <P ALIGN=CENTER>
          <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
          </script>
          </P>
          <!-- end of Code Amber Ticker code (c)Copyright codeamber.org 2002, 2003-->

Comment

thanks for the replys people,
            and for the links, will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Mandrake-Linux is easy, but good to use! :)

Comment

Long time no see.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                  Long time no see.
                  If you're asking me that question, it's because I've alwats used SlipStreamX! (http://www.slipstreamx.net)

Comment

Working...
                  X