Check This Out!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check This Out!!!!!!

I found this kind of by accident and have since installed it to my second machine as the primary OS. FREE like all other linux if you can get by without tech support. It's almost scary how much this feels like XP.

http://lycoris.com

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Not wanting to poop your party, but we have known about this Distro of linux for a while, form memory, this one used to be called redmond linux.

good find anyway :)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Have been using Lycoris (on and off with Mandrake) for the last 3-4 months or so. It IS really good and solid. Not one unscheduled reboot since installing it. I use Opera as the browser, Mozilla-mail and open office. It does everything better than any Windoze machine I've used, including XP. The built in firewall is really solid, giving "stealth" operation in its default settings. Updates are easier than Windoze. The games are a bit more difficult to get to use but that's half the fun. Anyway I've got an old Win98 partition (NOT updated and never gets near the net....tcp/ip removed) for some of my really old dos-stuff.

Comment

Any Demo ?

Comment

Its free to download from their site (512Mb for the main install plus 360Mb for the sources and 160Mb for the developer tools....good community too)
          http://www.lycoris.com
          There's also some screen dumps of various stuff at the site. Have a look...you'll be impressed

Comment

Judging with the hardware database, it doesn't support as much hardware as Mandrake-Linux 9.0. The interface does look friendly, though.

Comment

Well, to fix that, update the kernel (if needed) or find the modules for your hardware, simple :p :)
              At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Webby,
                I've installed Lycoris on some pretty obscure little systems without too many hassles at all...even an integrated PC chips mobo running its own variety of TNT2 ultra graphics etc etc.....If your hardware IS covered then what's the problem??. They also have a really active community that will help most users thru....even the proprietors get involved and you can't do much better than getting it straight form the horses mouth...especially when he owns the horse. I've migrated to Mandrake only because it was there and it was new...I still have the Lycoris CD's includ ing the dev and sources cd's to tinker with...its as good a a newbie would want

Comment

Well thanks for the input. I just want a Linux file sharing client ASAP so I can shut off Windows! :D Who cares if I can't use Photoshop! I can do graphics the hard way!

Comment

by filesharing you mean PTP I assume?

if you mean local network, SAMBA, FTP and HTTP are fine :P

as for PTP, do a search on http://www.google.com/linux, there are linux versions of the Gnuttella network utilies which are used by winmx etc (AFAIK), but not (that I know of) for Kazaa - there was one for Audiogalaxy which I had installed on my linuxbox (it does my downloads overnight :D) but since they effectively shut down it's pretty useless now.
                    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Silencer!

Comment

Working...
                      X