Another dumb arse question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dumb arse question

... and this time it's about drivers for different distributions.

If I want to install drivers for my harware, does it matter what linux distribution I'm running ? Are linux drivers for all distribs the same or are they so different that individual driver sets are needed ?

Stupid question sure, but I'm curious !

Thanks

:?: :?:

From what I know about Linux (not much at all) it seems the major difference between many drivers is SMP support. There almost always seems to be a uniprocessor version and an SMP one for most drivers..... :?:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

hmmmmmmm, ok feeling stupid.... what's SMP ?? :?:
      I guess "P" stands for processor right ?!

The reason I started the thread is that I want to try and get my usb modem working under linux (I've posted a seperate thread about that). After checking out Aztechs website I thought they had drivers for Red Hat 7.2. I emailed Aztech and asked them about the drivers, they replied saying that they only have support for Mandrake Linux 8.0.

I'd always thought that it'd make no difference ??? I guess the follow up question is should I try and get hold of Mandrake or can I stick with Red Hat ? :confused:

Damn Linux, I know stuff about windows !
      :afro:

Comment

SMP stands for Symmetrical Multi Processing, a fancy name for more than one CPU
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

lol, just trying to big note it and make it sound good huh ?

:laugh: :laugh:

... and I got the "P" wrong too ! Oh well, I was close !

Comment

Originally posted by FrodgE
            hmmmmmmm, ok feeling stupid.... what's SMP ?? :?:
            I guess "P" stands for processor right ?!

The reason I started the thread is that I want to try and get my usb modem working under linux (I've posted a seperate thread about that). After checking out Aztechs website I thought they had drivers for Red Hat 7.2. I emailed Aztech and asked them about the drivers, they replied saying that they only have support for Mandrake Linux 8.0.

I'd always thought that it'd make no difference ??? I guess the follow up question is should I try and get hold of Mandrake or can I stick with Red Hat ? :confused:

Damn Linux, I know stuff about windows !
            If they have a driver for mandrake it *SHOULD* work with another distro.

But if you get stuck here is s ite that'll give you plenty to read about getting WinModem's working under Linux..

http://www.linmodems.org/

catchy name isn't it?

:laugh:

Comment

support meaning it will or should go into mandrake flawlessly but for other distros there may be a little "tweaking" required
              SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
              Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Device drivers in linux are handled by kernel modules, so if a device is supported then there will be a kernel module for it and it won't matter wheather you use redhat or mandrake or peanut-linux because they all have a kernel. If you post the full details about your modem including anything Aztech mentioned about mandrake I'll see what I can dig up.
                p-two.net

Comment

is everything a module or can you compile it straight into the kernel for better performance?
                  SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                  Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

It depends on what it's for, you can compile file system support as a module but not for the FS that you use for your install, generally its best to have as little compiled into the kernel as possilbe because a small kernel is a fast kernel, thats the whole design phillosophy behind kernel modules. Another feature is you can load and unload device modules on the fly so if the kernel needs to use a particular piece of hardware it call call the utility "modprobe" and load the module and unload it when its no longer needed. Another advantage is that there is no need to reboot to upgrade a module.
                    p-two.net

Comment

Originally posted by Bern
                      If you post the full details about your modem including anything Aztech mentioned about mandrake I'll see what I can dig up.
                      Hey cool ! Thanks heaps !

Ok, here tis:

The modem is an Aztech UM9800 and uses the pegas.usb chipset by STMicroelectronics. Their webpage is here :
                      http://us.st.com/stonline/prodpres/d...us/pegasus.htm

And the Linux drivers from Aztech are here:
                      ftp://ftp.aztech.com/pub/modem/usb/usb_linux7.2.zip

Aztech didn't give me any usefull info. They just said "... the driver we have only support Mandrake Linux Operating System" and "Our Aztech 56K USB Modem supports Mandrake Linux 8.0"

I haven't been able to find very much, but then I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. I think I installed the drivers properly :?: dunno. I think the Linux drivers are also made by SmartLink rather than Aztech.

If you think you can help me out then that's great ! :thumb:

Thanks Heaps !

Cheers !

Comment

I've posted some info in your other thread about this, I'll check out these links and post any updates there.
                        p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                        X