No announcement yet.

pegas.usb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah....two dashes might be right....its been that long since I've used an rpm system I've forgotten most of the rpm commands, still it's not working with either. I wanted to see a ls -al screenie to compare file size, permissions etc with the copy I downloaded. If you like I can email it to you, yours might be corrupted in some way.
    [code:1:2640513f46]
    -rw-r--r-- 1 bern users 1007121 Dec 19 01:03 slmdm-2.03-01.src.rpm
    [/code:1:2640513f46]
    p-two.net

Comment

well yeah we could give that a go but the file sizes are the same so.... I'll PM you anyways.

I noticed the permissions are different, could that cause the problems ? If so, what should they be and how can I change them ??

Are there other ways to do this or is it just to painful and not worth it ?

Comment

I've emailed it...it might be a bit big for yahoo, if they bounce it I'll let you know.....as for your last question.....It might be worth looking into a real modem.....getting a usb modem working is as hard as a winmodem, mostly because they are winmodems.
        p-two.net

Comment

Well I'm not sure what exactly happened but goods things occured !!

I got a new hard drive so I re-installed linux. Once done I thought I'd try rebuilding that src rpm again. This time it actually found the file and attemped to compile it ! Hoorah !!! What changed ? I have no idea ! But it decided to stop pissing me off and work, kinda.

While that's all good, it did actually run into yet another problem. I might be up **** creek in a barbed wire canoe but we'll see. As it was compiling it bombed out 'cas it couldn't find "modversions.h". I'm not sure if this header file is pretty common with linux apps and therefore no big problem or if it is indeed unique to the drivers from SmartLink. :?:

Anyways here's a screendump, can you see anything obvious ????

Thanks heaps !!

:bounce: <-- I've got no idea what the hell this thing is but it looks kinda funky !

Comment

Its complaining about a missing kernel header, did you install all the kernel src and kernel dev rpm's?
            p-two.net

Comment

Yep pretty sure I did ! I selected the kernel developement option during the install so unless there is something else ?? Could it be for a different version or something ?

Comment

Have a look in /usr/src/linux/include/linux for the missing file. You might need to search the cd's for a kernel headers rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  [B]Have a look in /usr/src/linux/include/linux for the missing file. You might need to search the cd's for a kernel headers rpm.
                  Heh.....guess who forgot to log in.....:rolleyes2
                  p-two.net

Comment

Hoorah !!! At long last I've managed to compile that freakin' source code !!!

I had a look and found that I did have that header file but the directory wasn't "linux" it was "linux 2.x" (can't remember exactly what it was but it was a number). After messing around with shortcuts so it appeared as just "linux" it compiled for me ! Yay ! Now for some happy similes --> :thumb: :D :) :cheers: Ok that'll do...

So, thinking things were going along just fine I tried to install them but got an error about unresolved symbols. Ummm, what ??? :?:

Do you know what this is and how to overcome it ??

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bern

Heh.....guess who forgot to log in.....:rolleyes2
                    It's ok, I won't hold it against ya !

Comment

Unresolved symbols....do "depmod -ae" as root and see if that helps. With the /usr/src/linux-version number thing, what I do is have a sym link from /usr/src/linux to /use/src/linux-version, rename your kernel src directory to /linux-version and then do (as root) "ln -s /usr/src/linux-version /usr/src/linux" that way you can download a new kernel, extract it to /usr/src/linux-new-version and then do "rm /usr/src/linux" to remove the old link and then do the "ln -s...etc" using /linux/new-version. What this does is point any program you're trying to compile that needs kernel headers/includes to the current kernel version you have running via the sym link.

[edit] I goofed up :)
                      p-two.net

Comment

AH-HA ! So I did something vaguely intelligent without even realising ! ... which I guess means I didn't actually do anything intelligent 'cas it was an accident ! Damn technicalities :cry:

Anyways, that whole idea makes sense to me which is good. So, now I have these drivers and I tried to install them using rpm -Uvh. But (oh this is such a stupid question I know...) now what ?! The instructions on that web page don't make a lot of sense to me. Are these drivers modules ? Do I have to load them before I can use them ? How do I know if they are loaded and are working ??

One thing that has been making me curious with all of this is the source code. I've come across many versions of source code for different versions of the driver but they always seem to be specific to a particular distribution or kernel. Does the source code vary for each distrib ? Does mandrake really need it's own source ? Does the kernel version matter ?

That brings me to my last querie for the moment, will I need to re-compile the kernel for these drivers to work or will the standard one RH comes with contain everything I need ? I plan on re-compiling soon anyway but I was wondering if I'd actually need to.

Whoa, I've crapped on far too much for one post ! :eek:

Cheers
                        :cheers:

Comment

You'll need to load the driver module with "modprobe **module name**" and you can view loaded modules with "lsmod".
                          p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                          X