CVS help required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVS help required.

I'm installing XFree86, I've gotten it installed just fine. Now I need to configure it for my video card (Voodoo 5). But it won't let me do so untill I get the Glide libraries installed. I know how to do this, but it's through CVS. And I'm having a problem with connecting. Here's what I get.

root@solidus:~# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/glide login
    Logging in to :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/glide

CVS password:
    cvs login: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory
    cvs [login aborted]: fatal error: exiting

Anyone have any Ideas on how I can get around this, or am I doing this right?

edit: I checked the box that says "Disable Smilies in This Post " and it worked. Thanks Bahamut.

Thanks

I always do cvs as a user, I do everything as a user, the only thing I do as root is "make install". You don't need to be root to download, configure or compile code, you don't even have to do it in /uer/src, I do it all in /home/bern/tmp and su to root for the install.
    p-two.net

Comment

When you post a message, you can disable smilies by clicking the (wait for it)
      "Disable smilies in this post" option. (above the send button)
      :)

Comment

I was logged in as root, would it make a difference with the error I am getting? Also I have a normal user. I'm using his home direcotry. /home/greyfox. I could try logging in as that user though. Do you think it's trying tor ead this file /root/.cvspass because I'm logged in as root?

Comment

i did some more searching and found that this may be a bug with the cvs client. I see posts that there are other people having the same issue. it seems to be resolved by running the command.

touch /root/.cvspass

I'm gonna try that later

Comment

Ok, I did the command "touch /root/.cvspass" and it allowed me to access what I needed, I'm working on installing those Glide Libraries. But I have another question. The question is, does X come with some type of window manager? or should I be able to "startx" and have some type of desktop without installing KDE or Gnome?

Comment

X has a very basic interface on its own and you'll need some sort of desktop to do anything.
              p-two.net

Comment

So without KDE or Gnome installed when I "startx" it should give me something other than a black screen right?

Comment

Yeah, you'll get a grey screen with black dots and an X for the pointer.
                  p-two.net

Comment

Ok here's the real problem I'm having. I got X installed just fine.
                    Now I'm trying to run "XFree86 -configure" it tells me this:

>>>>> Could not load the shared library file for Glide: "libglide2x.so"!

You need to have Glide installed to run the glide driver for XFree86.
                    Also, you need to tell XFree86 where the libglide2x.so file is placed
                    by making a soft link in the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory that points
                    to the libglide2x.so file. For example (if your libglide2x.so file is in
                    /usr/lib):

# ln -s /usr/lib/libglide2x.so /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

Now I assume that I need to install the glide libraries, because this doesn't exist on my system. But I can't find glide in a format I can use. All I find are stupid rpms. I don't know what to do. You think I shoud ditch this Voodoo 5 and get a Nvidia card. MAybe it would be easier or better to install. Definetly more driver support currently.

Comment

Get a geforce, the nvidia linux drivers are up to the same standard as the windoze ones, get the .tar.gz format and it's a good idea to print out the nvidia readme, it has excellent install/config instructions. Also I have a script that I can send you for checking a nvidia install.
                      p-two.net

Comment

Hold the phone just a minute . . . Did you realize that everything I need is on the Slackware Extras CD? It's got the Glide Libraries for 2 and 3 in tar.gz format and also packages for the card itself. I'm gonna try that when I get home.

Later

Comment

Ah, yes, I forgot about the 3dfx directory on the extra cd. I've never even looked in it before you remined me about it :eek:
                          I'll have to remember about it in case I come across someone else with obsolete video equipment :D
                          p-two.net

Comment

lol, ok, I got the glide libraries installed. Now when I run "XFree86 -configure", I get beyond that initial problem, but it returns me this message then halts.

(WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0xf8000000 e: 0xffffffff correcting
                            (EE) Cannot find a replacement memory range
                            (WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0xf8000000 e: 0xffffffff correcting
                            (EE) Cannot find a replacement memory range
                            (WW) ****INVALID IO ALLOCATION**** b: 0xfffffe00 e: 0xfffffeff correcting
                            (EE) TDFX(1): Cannot read V_BIOS

Got any ideas?

Comment

Try "xf86config".
                              p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                              X