How to format a linux partition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to format a linux partition...

How do you format a linux partition? i currently have slackware, i want to format that, and install mdrak 8.2...ive tried the usual format cmd while booting with a startup disk, i tried it while booted into slackware...i tried deletign the partition with fdisk in linux then recreating it, that seemed to work but then when i went ls everyone was still there...arghies...
    At the request of wiggo ;)

also, ive tried just going into the mdrake setup, and when i get to the first bit it says hit enter and it'll start to install, so i hit enter hoping itll later give me a chance to format the drive...but then i get this during setup:

Unrecognised character \x82 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/lib.pm line 1.
    Complation failed in require at /usr/bin/runinstall2 line 24.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/runinstall2 line 24.
    install exited abnormally :-(

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Comment

try the fdisk utilitiy on the win98 boot disk :)
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

yeah i did...i booted in, went into fdisk, deleted the non-dos partition (the linux partition), then tried to recreate it and it says "Verifying Drive Integrity...1%" then it goes to 2% and goes straight back to 0% and keeps looping like that...i have to restart to get out of it so i have no idea wtf is wrong with that fdisk

Comment

if this is in your server or test machine or whateva, put the hard drive in your comp and format it that way
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

The Win98 oe WinME fdisk will not delete non-dos partitions...that is ntfs or unix....Most linux distros have a partition manager built into the install.....you can probably use that to reset the partitions and format them.......If its a ntfs partition...you can remove it using the partition manager in XP setup (have had to do this on a number of occasions)...then use the linux distro to set and format them....of course a utility like partition manager and the like will help you out....

Comment

If you boot with the mandrake disk and do an "expert" install you will be able to format selected partitions with the disk drake utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                If you boot with the mandrake disk and do an "expert" install you will be able to format selected partitions with the disk drake utility.
                Woops!
                Forgot to login D
                p-two.net

Comment

ok, ive booted from cd and i hit F1 where im at a cmd prompt, i type in expert to go into expert mode...

Now it prompts me with:

If you want to insert third-party kernel modules, insert a Linux (ext2fs) formatted floppy containing the modules and confirm. Otherwise, select "no"

i select no here

Now it prompts me with:

Which driver should i try to gain SCSI access?

i don't have SCSI so i just press cancel

now here, i get all different error msgs...one time i boot up and do all the above and ill get about 5 errors...the next time ill get more, completely different msgs, and the next time ill get less errors...ect

but one time i did get into the install, i have no idea how, or why it got ther ethat time but it did...any ideas guys??????

Comment

You can select expert install in the GUI mode, it's after the license, language and mouse selection.
                    p-two.net

Comment

loggin as root, find the partition name:
                      /dev/hdaX ... Where X is the number of the partition on that disk. If this is a second harddrive, it may be called /dev/hdbX

Run command:
                      mke2fs /dev/hdaX ....

This will reformat the partition.

iain

Comment

Working...
                      X