Oldbugger! I got Mandrake 8.1 !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldbugger! I got Mandrake 8.1 !!

Hey there Oldbugger, and others! I got Mandrake 8.1 today at 'staples', an office etc store. Just now configuring my HD using System Commaner 7.0 to install a new operating system. Will let ya all know when I've gotten it going!

Question: I connect to the internet through our LAN using a devie called a web beetle (address of 192.169.0.5 and I always assigned my computer with a static address. Can I do the assigning of addresses and Default Gateway in LInux?

I downloaded a program called WINE, a sort of DOS emulator to allow some Windows programs to be recognized by Linux. Any one out there using such a thing?

Can I use thngs like ICQ or Microsoft messenger with Linux?

Thanks for responding....I'm sure there are others that might benefit from these "newbie" questions!

Cheers!

Originally posted by Frost
    Can I use thngs like ICQ or Microsoft messenger with Linux?
    for icq, you have to use alternatives, eg:licq
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Fost.....see elsewhere, thanx to Bern, I'm running Mandrake 8.2 as of today.....and star office is on da way.........I've found that Mandrake is not quite as bumble-proof as red hat. (or it might mean I'm gettin a bit more adventurous)....easy enough to reinstall though.....f#$%ed it twice this evening........

Comment

Originally posted by Frost
        Hey there Oldbugger, and others! I got Mandrake 8.1 today at 'staples', an office etc store. Just now configuring my HD using System Commaner 7.0 to install a new operating system. Will let ya all know when I've gotten it going!

Question: I connect to the internet through our LAN using a devie called a web beetle (address of 192.169.0.5 and I always assigned my computer with a static address. Can I do the assigning of addresses and Default Gateway in LInux?
        Yes, you can even set the linux box to be a gateway for a network.
        [B]I downloaded a program called WINE, a sort of DOS emulator to allow some Windows programs to be recognized by Linux. Any one out there using such a thing?
        I have a fiddle with it every now and again, you can get lots of info on what works in wine and what dosn't at wine HQ.

[B]Can I use thngs like ICQ or Microsoft messenger with Linux?
        Apart from licq and a few other linux icq clients you can are several jabber clients that can connect to yahoo, msm, aim and icq.

[B]Thanks for responding....I'm sure there are others that might benefit from these "newbie" questions!

Cheers!
        Go for it :)
        p-two.net

Comment

Hey guys.. I'm in here from this Konqueror web browser! I even got the configuration right to go through our web beetle. Onlly thing is the silly scroll mouse doesn't scroll. It did while setting it up, but now it's sort of not. Anyways it works. The darn dual boot (actually now a triple boot) WORKS!!

How do ya get e-mail in this OS?? LOL

I take it Konqueror is not Netscape, huh?? Toto were not in Kansas anymore.. I think were in OZ. *grin*

I've read about the 8.2 Oldbugger, and it sound like it is a real sweet deal. I had to install this OS using expert mode, as the standard install would just flash the screen and after a while a message displayed saying respawning too fast halting for 5 minutes.. Knot sure what that means.

I downloaded WINE into my extended "D" partition, which is FAT32. Don't suppose Mandrake can see that program huh? Does this have something like the "MY COMPUTER" where you can browse different files on the system?

Boy!!!! This is Day One ladys and germs! I've got a WHOLE lot to learn.. Help me BERN.. I've fallen and can't reach my L-Mouse. *S*

Anyway, for those reading this post.. System Commander managed to set up a portion of my primary partition, resize my exisiting "C" partition that housed Windows XP, create an extended partition for the Linux swap, then format them to Linux. What do I get when I boot up.... a choice! Which is what it should be! Each has it's own quirks and each has it's strong points. It will take me a little while to get the hang of it, but will persist. Thanks for the info on L ICQ and the like. I though maybe ICQ had a download program written for Linux systems.

Bern... You're great.. this site is great.. Oldbugger may be old, but, well, dang it.. we are really Newbies in this computer age, arent we? I mean, this is something that wasn't around for me until just a few years ago. Most people that have some knowledge of computers that are "getting on in years" are some of those that worked on main frames and the like.... enough for now! Will check out that link, and some others!

Cheers!

Comment

M8 I bought...yes bought...... an official version of Star Office so can have 100% compatibility with MS Office files from work(need to, bugger it)......it cost me $AU10 compared to over $AU1000 for MS Office.......

Frost you can find your DOS partition in root in some obscure sub directory ( and all your FAT directories are there like looking at the root dir in window$) and its easy to transfer files between Linux and FAT partitions.....memory is goin......can't remember the name of the sub dir where it was????

Talk about gettin old....I can remember using a bloody slide rule for calcs.......once fried an adding machine...put 220v into a 110v machine....could be one of the original overclox????

Will be installing the NVidia drivers for Mandrake this arvo......

Luv it

:D :D

Comment

Look for your winc and wind in /mnt, to get your scroll wheel working edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change the pointer section to something like this,
              [code:1:51f9f528de]

Identifier "Mouse1"
              Driver "mouse"
              Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
              Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
              Option "Buttons" "5"
              Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
              [/code:1:51f9f528de]
              You can leave the "Device" alone just change the "Protocol" to "IMPS/2" and add the buttons and zaxismapping lines.
              p-two.net

Comment

Havin probs with the Nvidia drivers.......had to end up doing a total reinstall......hmmmmm

PS attempt #3 failed too....I'll just have to get a bit more experience......

Comment

Are you using rpm's or the .tar.gz files?
                  p-two.net

Comment

the TAR files..and its the kernel one thats giving the probs on compile (dunno why...straight install of everything but it comes up with missing libraries all over the place).......can I use the rpm file for the kernel and the tar GLX file?????

Comment

The .tar.gz files need you to have your kernel src installed, look on the drake cd's for something like kernel-*-dev-*.rpm, make sure that the dev versions match the version of the installed kernel (check with "uname -a"). I don't think nvidia have any drake 8.2 rpm's yet so that option is out untill they upload some.
                      p-two.net

Comment

Nvidia have a kernal rpm for 8.1 UP....I assume that means it would include 8.2?? Come to think of it....I'll give it a try anyway.....it only takes a little time to recover if I stuff it and I figure you won't learn if you don't make a few mistakes along the way....

I have found all the variations of Linux Ive tried thus far (RedHat, Lycoris, Mandrake) to be really stable and, at the same time flexible. What I especially like is that it gives you the opportunity to think outside the "square" dictated by M$. Already I have found it allows me to work differently (I do a fair bit at home) just by using the multiple desktops. And when you start to think outside of THAT square imposed by MS software, lots of possibilities emerge.

I'm more determined to get thing working like the NV drivers from a point of view of the learning experience rather than need. Although I have worked with computers since the mid70's, it has been as a systems/business analyst rather than a pointy head (Programmer)....... am enjoying sharpening the head at the moment...but its still pretty blunt...

Comment

Working...
                        X