No announcement yet.

Well hello there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have abandoned Window$ altogether....fdisked and reinstalled linux onto its own partition.....hey presto.....can write cd's etc....it was the partitionless install and the fixed boot disk that was holding me back....yeehaaa

Comment

Originally posted by Frost
      What is SuSE personal version 7.3 Mr. C??
      SuSE is a company name, it's yet another flavor of Linux.
      It's a German based company.
      I won't pretend to advocate SuSE over another distribution, as I'm no Linux guru (at this point it's all greek to me still:( ).
      SuSE selling points seem to be the number of proggies that come in the boxed set, and the fact that it has in fact been adopted by IBM for use in it's Linux servers. Like I stated though, the biggest reason I use it is it's availability for me.
      There's also a professional version that comes with several more CD's and 7 manuals for almost twice the price. Of course that can be DL'ed as well - just don't get any manuals that way.

A lot of distributions nowadays handle the partitioning of a Windows drive, that is not exculsive to SuSE.
      The main thing I see as SuSE's drawback for a newbie is the limited amount of distro specific info online.

"Gold Tweaker" is just an automatic upgrade - based on the number of posts I have.

:thumb: Kudos to you Oldbugger!
      You move at quite a rapid rate dude! I'd have to say you caught the bug big time.
      I'm not ready for that kind of move yet, but I have gotten some study materials recently that will hopefully in time put me in a position to migrate fully.
      In my case however - that is going to require some hardware purchasing for me as well. :(
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

IBM are contracting with redhat for linux, you might be getting mixed up with the announcement last week that SuSE are developing the x86-64 kernel support for AMD's hammer processors.
        p-two.net

Comment

Mr C as I said before....it is too easy to fall back in the comfort zone.....I just bit the bullet and fdisk'd Window$ away.....it was like a weight lifted o0ff the shoulders.....

My old WinME system would take hours to rebuild from a format and then was fragile......the RH7.1 Linux takes about 35-45 mts and no more drivers for this...patches for that.....4in1 thingies......file schredders.......etc etc etc

Honestly this version of RH is easier to install than Window$ and it works out of the box......I am going to try a few Kernel manipulations/compiles and try a couple of other distributions of Linux and settle with what suits ME best..try that with Window$....and its gunna cost me didly squat compared to M$ software...

As I said I just decided to get out of the software rut and what better way

Comment

I've got a copy of Red Hat 7.1 now, came in a book i got - Linux Administration A Beginners Guide.
            Not ready to give it a go yet though, still need to give SuSE a fair shake yet. Tempting though when you consider the amount of specific info readily available for the Hat.

ATM my old reliable scanners and my Lexmark Z11 printer are useless with Linux. So a complete transformation is gonna' require some spending. Much as I want to, I've got to work on the vehicle first. (don't you just hate priorities sometimes:laugh: )

Geez! Like 2 months ago IBM said it was going with SuSE - oh well, that's business.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well if you like to fidget like I do....then Lycoris is not the go....it is much to "windowsy" and with too little ability to tinker....back to Redhat 7.1 till Mandrake turns up.....

By the way I've fdisk'd three times and installed different flavours of linux today without any drama.....linux is much easier than people think or give credit to......in fact you, the user, decides how tech you want to be......

Comment

Choice, what it's all about is choice. Mandrake is the best distro for those with no linux experience, it allows all the choice's that a distro like slack does but in the form of pointy-clicky interfaces and wizards, of course all this gui goodness comes with a trade off in that it uses a lot of system resources, thats why drake is an i586+ distro when all the other major ones are i386+.
                p-two.net

Comment

Any idea how I get the digital cam to work.Its a Kodak dc3200...can't find anything anywhere

Comment

There seems to be some info on that camera here.
                    p-two.net

Comment

Nogo as far as I can see.....the DC3200 is unique...as far as Kodak cameras go....hmmmmm

Comment

Thanx to Bern I'm now running Mandrake 8.2.....thanx again Bern

Comment

Your welcome :)
                          p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                          X