No announcement yet.

Well hello there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He doesn't have that nick for nothin', so we're still youngun's. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Why bother...ME is SH...not very good.

Comment

A little bit at a time...and I'm making headway.....this is great...

Hey Bern...tried the Nvidia drivers but can't get them ....whats the full details after the "XFree86_40" cause thats where Im gettin stuck.

Got the monitor params in fine...even found the DOS directories and movin stuff between OS's easily...specially the pics...hehehe

I was so bored with the vanilla Window$ crap and with the heart probs can't do much else except tinker....boy have I found some tinkering....yeehaa

PS Frost I turned 50 last September

Comment

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2802.tar.gz and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2802.tar.gz, you unpack them by doing,
          "tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz"
          "tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz"
          then,
          "cd NVIDIA_kernel"
          "make install"
          Next, move into the NVIDIA_GLX directory,
          "cd ../NVIDIA_GLX"
          "make install"
          Note, you must install the kernel module before the glx.
          Next you need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
          Add Load "glx" to the modules section and remove (or comment out) Load "dri" and Load "GLcore" if they are there, scroll down to the device section and replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia", run the nv_check.sh script, reboot and enjoy.
          p-two.net

Comment

Originally posted by Frost
            I come from Western Nebraska. I thought that Nebraska was the center of the USA, Mr. C??? LOL
            Howdy neighbor!
            According to the World Almanac and Book of Facts the geographic center of the 50 states is in Butte County, South Dakota. I live about 24 miles from the monument/tourist trap erected there near Belle Fourche, SD.

Kansas is the center of the 48 conterminous states. North Dakota is where the center can be found for the North American Continent.

So I'd say - yep, I reckon your at the center of just about everything too:thumb:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Is there a Linux equivalent of ctrl-alt-del to kill apps?????

Comment

Yes, it's called.....wait for it.......kill. Do "man kill" for the unix manual page with all the flags and options. For an app that you started in a terminal you can do Ctrl + c to kill it. To use kill to quickly kill an app open a terminal and do "top" , note the PID of the app (a number) and then do "kill *pid number of offending app*". You will need to be root to kill an app started by root or one that started with system boot. In kde you can use KDE System Guard to kill an app, K--->System-->KDE Systen Guard.
                p-two.net

Comment

Yep, Mr. C, I stand corrected. You come from a very pretty part of South Dakota. Duhamel TV I think originated there. Along with a lot of scenes shot for "Dances With Wolves" although the major part of it was shot on the 777 ranch south of Rapid City. Used to live in Crawford, NE just south of the "Hills".

Anyway.. I've been toying with the idea of putting Linux on my computer. I have the means (V-Com.com's System Commander 7.0) to create another primary partition and make it active. Just don't know what I'd do with it once I create it. I've heard of "Pure DOS" that recognizes large hard drives and has a few more anemenities that the DOS you get when you have MS 6.22 or such. Would be nice to boot into something like that so you can change or delete some things once in a while. Seems Windows XP doesn't like you to delete or rename things that in the process of being used at the time. What can I gain using Linux that I don't have with Windows XP with it's ture 32bit OS?

Now that ought to spark some more responses.. LOL

Cheers!

BTW, That's our cat pudder, I named Pudder Bat after I tweaked the photo a bit with a polaroid PhotoMax program. My daughter laughs every time she see that picture. My mom thinks it's the ugliest cat she has ever seen. May be ugly, but he can hear a cricket fart with them ears! LOL

Comment

Well....
                    Linux doesn't keep encrypted hidden files recording you every move (I'm thinking of the hidden Win dirs like history.ie5 and its sub dirs MSHIST~ with their own indexes)

Linux doesn't try and ring home everytime you change PCHEALTH specs (hardware/system) or so

Linux doesn't keep reinstalling files you delete (in the PCHEALTH dirs like uploadm.exe and config.xml...they just reappear in a couple of seconds)

Linux doesn't reserve bandwidth for dialing M$ home

Linux (probably) doesn't have built in forensic hooks ( I don't do anything real naghty but it gets right up the nose that someone can go poking around in my system)

Linux doesn't expire when it suits Micro$oft's whim

Linux is bloody cheaper especially when you add the free office-type software that outperforms the M$ stuff anyway

Some of the things I hate about Window$...and why I am going right back to tors........

PS Bern.....thanx for all the help.......I only succeeded in trashing the system once with the NV upgrade?????easy to fix up though....

Comment

Well said once again Oldbugger!

I came to the moral conclusion long ago that I'm not going to run XP. So I figured I'd better start looking at alternatives. Linux just seemed the logical choice.

I'm running SuSE Personal 7.3 -- now there is only 1 reason for that particular choice. I was able to get a boxed version of this OS at a local bookstore.
                      That saved me about 60+ hours of downloading (and that's best case scenario with this steenking dial-up). I just wasn't ready to commit that much time to a sight unseen Operating System.
                      3 CD's 2 Floppy's and 3 manuals for less than $40 US. Oh man You just won't find that kind of value from M$. Something like 2,200 proggys included on the disks - none of which are installed by default, it is entirely up to you!

Frost, there was no need to purchase additional programs with SuSE, as the partitioning is all handled by the setup utilities that come with the OS.

I'm thinking it's pretty clear with just my limited dabbling in the Linux world -- it's about value, it's about choice, it's about power and it's all about freedom.

And keep asking those good questions Oldbugger - I'm learning good stuff with you around. Heehee Bern ROCKS don't he.
                      :thumb:
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Hehehehehe...I'm a penguin pimpin' moderator :D
                        p-two.net

Comment

In a sorta' related bit of news.
                          The Sundance Channel is showing the documentary Revolution OS this month.
                          For those of you who can get it, it's gonna' have Linus Torvald, Stallman, and many of the big big names in open source.
                          Might be an interesting watch, comes on in about 2 minutes here:thumb:

Maybe Bern will be on there too?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                            [B]Maybe Bern will be on there too?
                            HA!..In my dreams.....
                            p-two.net

Comment

That's alright Bern, your still a big-name star with us.
                              Anyway, you'd probably soon forget about us little folks and be chasing Hollywood starlets.
                              It was actually a pretty good history lesson about Open Source. Check it out if you get the chance, better than the typical muck found on TV.

Comment

What is SuSE personal version 7.3 Mr. C??

Congratulations on being a gold tweaker "MR. C"!! Is that what was official??? *S*

E-mail me sometime when ya get a chance.. probably too busy helping all us know nothing's like myself in here! LOL

Right now my Windows XP is sort of disfunctional. I boot, or try to boot into XP and get a blue screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and that's about it. believe it could be a hardware thingy. Can't even re-install XP off the CD as it gets to the point of the "Setup is starting windows" and just hangs right there until it halts the system. really wierd.!! If I didn't have System Commander and have already set up Windows ME as a dual boot.. I wouldn't be here now. ME is still functioning.. funny too as the hardware is the same for it as XP.

Comment

Working...
                                X