Who runs Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who runs Linux?

A lot of folks like the Fedora build. I've been playing with Mandrake just to get my feet wet in the Linux world.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Dual booting first computer:

Windows XP 10,000 rpm 74Gig
      Ubuntu Gnome 10,000 rpm 74Gig

Single boot second computer:

Ubuntu KDE 7200 rpm 160Gig

Single boot 3rd computer:

Windows Media Center:

Two 5200 rpm 40Gig
      Two 5200 rpm 30Gig In Raid 0

Currently Running World of Warcraft on Ubuntu.

Comment

Ubuntu 9.10 is my main OS while I only keep Windows XP for games. Even my parents like Linux because it has everything they need. Also because I installed a login theme that is way better than the default theme(link).

I just can't get the same eyecandy appeal with windows and I'm not exactly drooling over Windows 7's eyecandy. It just does not have that "tick" to it.

Comment

Dual boot with Windows XP and Mandriva

Comment

Multi Boot with Xp Win 7 #!Crunchbang Linux and custom Debian Sid .

Comment

I use Windows 7 on all 5 of my rigs and dual boot Ubuntu on 2 of them.

One of my (Windows/Linux) dual boot machines (HTPC) uses a 500GB partitioned drive and the other (gaming rig) has a separate drive for each OS (W7, XP, Ubuntu).

My office computer also has 3 MS OSs - Windows 7 Enterprise (32 bit), W7 Enterprise (64 bit) and XP (32 bit) each on their own drive.

If all my apps would run on Linux I'd drop Windows in a heartbeat.

Bill
              My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
              AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
              M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
              Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
              Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
              Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
              Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
              Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
              Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
              Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Comment

Primary is Ubuntu with a bit of Open Solaris (whatever it is called now) and BSD and yes I know the last two are NOT Linux...the point is I am 0% Microsloth
                4 Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H & 2 GF8100VM-M3 with various dual core and quad core AM2+/AM3 cpu's
                Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha
                http://rtalcott.blogspot.com/

Comment

use linux on my server
                  and on my old laptop and a thin client
                  Cooler Master HAF X Big Tower
                  Gigabyte X58A-OC F5b
                  i7 960 D0 with EK waterblock @4.2Ghz
                  Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 12GB
                  OCZ Vertex 3 120gb MAX IOPS
                  3x 2TB WD Caviar Green hdd
                  2x EVGA 480 GTX SLi with EK waterblock OC@core 851Mhz/memory2202Mhz
                  Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-1200 1200W
                  Dual boot with linux

big thanks to Acebmxer and Lsdmeasap

Comment

I Do! I Do!

Gentoo is flav of choice.. and no, no funroll-loops here... :P

Comment

Originally posted by G13man View Post
                      separate drives in the 500, bios switch between two drives.[dual boot kept crashing ] ...RH9( with Firefox browser),98 for gaming, all other 98 and 98se, across the ms network..
                      stopped using RH 9.0 since the RH were not free anymore
                      then in 2003 bought a 64bit Athlon and tried PC Linux 64 bit. fast but no use for it
                      tried several small Linux in older PC's [ I am a user, not a software person or tweak er ]
                      since 2008 have tried every version of Ubuntu ,[but got none to work] and would try a few other brands , but none were easy to use [was still using 98SE, even on the 64 bit sys]

now 2012 I tried [again] Ubuntu. yea success .. 12.04.1 LTS [edit-accidentally had 12.1 listed ] Ubuntu working, and am using it. 64 bit on the dual Pentium on a 945 Intel bd and 32 bit version on a Celeron 945 chip-set bd. I am finding it easy enough to figure out and get around on.[finally-user friendly] I am going to try it soon on 1 of the three AM-37 ECS Athlon [32bit] mother bd's I have. [1-98SE/FE, 1-xp,1-being repaired][old gaming systems . Broad war][and simplified systems upkeep- only three chip-sets to keep track of [the other is 910/915 chip-sets with 800 PIII ,s in storage ]
                      with the new BIOS's having switchable hard drive selectable boots , I do not dual boot off of the same drive . to many problems...[XP upgrades] I went the the Long Term System because I do not want to have to keep relearning OS 's..

ps also now using Opra browser on win systems
                      pss all AMD k500 systems died, so did my beloved 64 bit Athlon ..now all systems are trash found and repaired....
                      Last edited by G13man; 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM. Reason: 12.01.1 should be 12.04.1
                      k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
                      recycled from the trash [and in use]
                      2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
                      3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
                      in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Comment

I use Ubuntu 12.10 now but I'll try an upgrade about once a year. Love it !

Comment

Ubuntu 12.04, KDE Plasma Desktop.

Comment

Screw Ubuntu, I ditched that monstrosity, and now use Arch-based Manjaro. More people need to know about it, its in beta right now, but I think it could end up replacing Ubuntu, and it should.

Comment

I run nas4free as my server

and do web development on Suse

Last project was in PHP to read energy meters via modbus and graph them

works fairly well - currently reading energy meters down in melbourne from bendigo
                              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Laptop Clevo P150em (i7 2630qm + 8 gb) 750 GB [100 gb to archbang (had to get bumble bee to swith between 675m and intel 3000 HD) rest Windows 7 (Vmware Mac OSX, scientific linux and Xp)]
                                Desktop (i5 4670k + 16 gb) only Win 7 right now (maybe CrunchBang or some arch base linux) waiting for rma on ram :(

In the past I had (2001) Damsmall linux (Had 56k at time )-> (07 )fedora (ok) -> (08)Ubuntu (was the best until 11.04) - > (11) mint (did not like it) -> (11) Then found arch

Also try many different Ubuntu (xbuntu ..etc)

Think about going to try Crunchbang. I mostly use Windows for gaming and Vmware. Linux for everything else (Coding, Matlab ...etc)

Comment

Working...
                                X