No announcement yet.

Who runs Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux i think to me is the best "office" use OS. cause of it's stablitity and IS FREE :).

Open office and mozilla firebird is great. also, there is alot of desktop features which i really like in redhat.

Comment

I'm dual-booting with Gentoo 1.4 as my primary OS. Sadly gotta keep Windows around for gamin :rolleyes: I first tried Linux about 3 months ago with Mandrake 9.1 and RH9, but I wanted to learn more and be able to customize my system more so I switched to Gentoo and Im lovin it, their portage system is awesome for keeping ur sys up to date and avoiding dependency issues :thumb:

Comment

interesting results, but I've got to admit that I would have thought there would be more people running Linux as their main OS, in some configuration. In fact, I would have thought more people in general would be using linux.
        :cheers:

Comment

I'm running redhat 9 on two systems... not dual booting tho.

using them to gain some experience with linux administration.

Comment

I run a RedHat 9 server and a JAMD (basically RedHat 9) box as a workstation. But, I gotta keep Windows XP pro on my game box.

Comment

i just noticed it but someone voted for "Linux? Why would I want to install that...".
              wow!!! now wdn't there be an interesting and long answer to that question :laugh:
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

My router/firewall runs slackware 8.0 (updated), my server runs slackware 9.1, my laptop runs slackware 9.1 and XP pro (only because of the software that came with my Nikon D100), my main workstation runs slackware 9.1 and XP pro for the same reason as the laptop and the toy runs XP pro (the toy is in my lounge room and is attached to a 46" plasma display :-).
                p-two.net

Comment

I may have to change my vote soon. I'm going to be getting a removable hdd bay to accomodate a removeable 40 GB hdd required by my courses that will be running an assortment of OS's thoughout the next 2 yrs (don't have to pay for it ;) ) So I'll have linux and winxp running independently of each other on seperate HDDs, as well as the misc. 40 GB.

Comment

Only Linux....MDK 9.1

Proof Linux is growing ....(actual picture of large inflatable penguin...real size...taken at Aukland zoo)

Comment

well after running linux for a while, i have realized that it is SLOWER:wow: than Windows for running seti, so, I will be reinstalling windows on the machine, and inst alling linux on the slowest of slow around here, just something I can use to continue my learning!

Comment

did you compile a new kernel that is suited for the system that was running linux?
                        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

me compile a new kernel? you are joking right? this is the 1st I have ever really been messing with any software other than M$, I have no idea how one would even start.

Comment

http://google.com/linux :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CheeZmonZter
                              well after running linux for a while, i have realized that it is SLOWER:wow: than Windows for running seti, so, I will be reinstalling windows on the machine, and inst alling linux on the slowest of slow around here, just something I can use to continue my learning!
                              actually distros like MDK and RedHat are comparatively slower to stuff like Slack and Gentoo. keep working on MDK and once you get hang of the stuff try moving to one of the faster distros. they are really fast and fun to work with ;)
                              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                              Last Updated:
                              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                              ======================
                              jabber : [email protected]
                              =======================
                              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                              yabaa dabaa doo...
                              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

seperate drives in the 500, bios switch between two drives.[dual boot kept crashing ] ...RH9( with firefox browser),98 for gaming, all other 98 and 98se, across the ms network..
                                k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
                                recycled from the trash [and in use]
                                2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
                                3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
                                in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Comment

Working...
                                X