Slackware and Fluxbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware and Fluxbox

How can I access the Window Manager in Flux?

Anyone? :(

Comment

What do u mean access the window manager? If you want to know how to start flux when you start X then add the line "exec /path/to/fluxbox" to your .xinitrc file :cheers:

Comment

I have flux setup, I want to know how to access the window manager, like explorer is windows (ie: my computer) or like going to "home" on KDE, view the dir tree, ya know? I see it in screenies but can't get to it. How to add icons to the desktop has also lost me.

Comment

I would hceck the fluxbox FAQ: http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/en/faq.php

or is wmaker not in your PATH?

Comment

I've seen the FAQ, doesn't help at all :(

Comment

In order to view ur files with a gui I'd suggest just running Konqueror and give ti a file:// address to start at, I believe thats what KDE does. As for desktop icons, they aren't natively supported by flux as its designed to be low on resources and reduce clutter, but you can use fbdesk to have desktop icons :thumb: It should be linked to on the main fluxbox site :cheers:

Comment

yeah I've been trying to get fbdesk to work but its more trouble than its worth IMO. It has so many dependancies and then each of those has its own lol

Is a simple desktop GUI that'll allow me to use a console and a dir tree so much to ask :| I don't even need icons, just those two things and I'd be happy...

Comment

you must have installed fluxbox from source but did you enable kde and gnome apps at the time of configure by passing arguments like
                  --enable-kde or --enable-gnome?
                  if yes then the kde and gnome apps should be there in the menu that appears when you right click on desktop. from there you can use nautilus/konqueror as file managers while konsole/gnome-terminal can be used as a console app.

m i wrong? :?:
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                  X