Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lycoris and partitions

Cheers everybody,
    I have a copy of Lycoris on CD that I'm keen to try, but I don't want to lose everything I've got on the PC already.
    I have a 40gig HD that is partitioned already into C: 10gig, 2.5gig free( Windows is on this drive ), and D: 30gig 9.5gig free.
    I was hoping to isolate 3gig on the back end of D: and chuck Lycoris in there. Is this possible? Can I do this without first wiping D: ?
    I have a program called Ranish Partition Manager, will that do the trick?
    Hoping someone can help. Thanx :)

humm, well, what i would do is this

use the 9.5 gb left, and see if u can partion that for linux use. LInux should detect the free space on the 9.5gb. use that and make the swap/ boot and / from it.

Comment

Thanx for replying, do I use The Ranish Partition Manager for that?
      I can't just partition it the way I did when I first set up the PC can I? That would cause data loss, which is what I don't want.
      Or, are you saying the Lycoris installation should do this for me? Recognising that there is free space and "want" to set itself up there (for want of a better phrase). Sorry if I haven't expressed myself well.

Comment

imo Lycoris' installation will help you do the partitioning.
        usually all the distros come with a program to partition the HD.
        the best thing will be to use that free 9.5 GB free partition but if you want to resize and existing partition, defrag the partition you want to resize and then run scandisk/chkdsk.
        after that use Ranish Partition Manager to resize the disk.
        imo you should not resize a partition as there is a huge chance that u might lose data or face data corruption.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
        X