what distro for a newbie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what distro for a newbie?

I want to try dual-booting Linux and Win XP home on my comp to give Linux a try and I was wondering what distro I should try? Also a tutorial on how to set up the dual boot w/XP would be nice. :cheers:

Mandrake and google/linux.
    p-two.net

Comment

thanks a ton Bern :thumb: :cheers:

Comment

yeah mandrake is really sweet but don't forget to go here after you have done the installation or else you might be forced to think about scrapping the mandrake install ;)
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I got Mandrake 9.1 installed this morning, and it seems really cool. 1 big question, how can i set up my wireless network in Linux. I have an SMC2662W USB adapter and I downloaded the Linux driver for it off of their site, but I dunno how to install it in Linux :o

Comment

i just checked their site and found that they are supplying drivers as tar balls i.e. a .tar.gz file
            if that is what you have got then follow these steps to install drivers.

1) Unpack the archive file:
            tar xzvf <filename>.tar.gz
            in your case it should be
            tar xzvf SMC2662WV2_Linux.tar.gz

2) Usually all the files are extracted into one directory. Change to that directory using cd command.

3) Now you have to make or build the installation:
            Look for files with names like README or INSTALL. Instructions for installation are usually found there. You will find commands like:
            ./configure
            make
            make install

i think it will work out this way...but do remember that i m a newbie myself as far as linux is concerned :p

[EDIT]hey i forgot...all these commands need to be written in terminal[/EDIT]
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            =======================
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

well I found the README and it says to run "./setup.sh" from the terminal, but when i do that it spits out a bunch of errors

Comment

well there is no running away from those errors.
                you have to solve them. btw what does it say?
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

hmm It seems I finally got the drivers installed, I had to login as root :thumb: . Anyway I think that my USB adapter is now eth0, but I can't figure out how to set up the IP address and subnet mask to work w/ my home network, its all static btw :cheers:

Comment

Dammit After I posted that last message I went back into Linux and mye eth0 disappeared, there was only the loopback when i did ifconfig. Also the fvnet utility that I was using to configure the essid and such for my wireless adapter now spits out an error "ioctl() failed" and doesnt run :snip: Im going crazy here please help

Comment

Working...
                    X