Knoppix Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoppix Linux

Recentely I have begun experimenting with a new distribution based on Debian GNU, it's called Knoppix and comes in the form of a bootable CD-ROM. I was very impressed by it's prebundled software selection and autoconfiguration of hardware at boot. It even has a driver for my laptop's S3 Savage/MX display adapter!

Knoppix Homepage

There is a version that was released on a bootable DVD disc, including over 4GB of software and drivers, if anyone knows where I could obtain a copy of this please let me know!

I'd recommend anyone with a Linux system to grab a copy of this distribution and have it handy in case of a fatal system crash, it's nice to know you'll still be able to boot (into GUI) and recover your data. It's also handy to shove into any Windows box (eg. TAFE, school, University) - I mean who wants to use Windows anyway? ;)

Originally posted by TeqnoHaxor
    I mean who wants to use Windows anyway? ;)
    :laugh: no kidding, I've been using RedHat 9 for a little while now and I like it. I rarely boot into windows anymore. I'm not set on RedHat so I might try Knoppix in the future :thumb:

:cheers:

Comment

Hehe funny you mention that, as I think I am ready to switch back soon. My favorite distro is a modified i686 compiled Red Hat deriative called JAMD linux :D. I just discovered my favorite category of games shmups (shoot em ups) and I would like to give xmame a go on that machine. On the other hand me and my friend were planning on creating a bootable 'ultimate XP disk' in which it would have SP2 slipstreamed, DX9.0b, uxtheme.dll patch, Winamp 2.91, FlashFXP, Nero 6, WinISO, Mozilla Firebird browser, and a bunch of system utilities to keep your system in shape, like Regclean, regcleaner, and Adaware installed right OOTB. This would be the ultimate XP cd, and me and my friend are pretty serious on working w/ it. It will take some work, but hopefully we can get it exactly how we want :D

Comment

Do you plan on getting the Copyrights to this software as well?
        Just cause its shareware/freeware doesn't mean people can compile CD's of it. It is for free personal distrobution.

Just a little FYI/CYA.

Chez

Comment

Originally posted by XBoy
          Hehe funny you mention that, as I think I am ready to switch back soon. My favorite distro is a modified i686 compiled Red Hat deriative called JAMD linux :D. I just discovered my favorite category of games shmups (shoot em ups) and I would like to give xmame a go on that machine. On the other hand me and my friend were planning on creating a bootable 'ultimate XP disk' in which it would have SP2 slipstreamed, DX9.0b, uxtheme.dll patch, Winamp 2.91, FlashFXP, Nero 6, WinISO, Mozilla Firebird browser, and a bunch of system utilities to keep your system in shape, like Regclean, regcleaner, and Adaware installed right OOTB. This would be the ultimate XP cd, and me and my friend are pretty serious on working w/ it. It will take some work, but hopefully we can get it exactly how we want :D
          Regardless of copyrights. I'd like a copy to try out. Its nice not to have to deal with certain things OOTB. Like setting up quickie installs for friends with no PC knowledge when they expect me to fix it for free cause im a friend. I want money. But settle quickly for lunch and beer.

Comment

they all are using the CD for theirselves...where is the question of copyrights? :?:
            in anycase most of those softwares are free and you can use them in anyways that you want...untill you are not selling them under your name and not changing the base code (which ofcourse you never had), i don't think there is any problem.

about how to go ahead and make it? well i saw it a few days ago on TT home page so there is not waiting any more ;)
            Unattended Windows XP CD
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

- I mean who wants to use Windows anyway? ;)
              the answer would be lots and lots of people!!!!
              linux is great and i m starting to like it but it is still no way near as user friendly as a real newbie would like it to be.
              "we" the so called geeks might go ahead...install it...work it out and start using it but it is still years behind windows in being user friendly.
              :cheers:
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              =======================
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I've been enjoying the use of knoppix for a while now. its in my toolkit as I use it to restore windows/linux/and some BSD boxes. There's also a cool distro thats a modiffied Knoppix with security tools on the CD its called knoppix STD I think.

Also I haven't found too many computers [either laptop or desktop] that can't boot knoppix.

For the newbie its the best way to get them to try Linux without messing up their system. since you can't mess up your system because you can't write to your hard drive unless you mount it differently.:thumb:

Comment

On the other hand me and my friend were planning on creating a bootable 'ultimate XP disk'
                  I'm pretty sure you won't have any luck getting Windows boot Read-Only, a USB thumb drive or external hard drive sure but not a CD-R :( I think it was possible back in the days of 9x but NT needs to know alot of information about the hardware its running on.

the answer would be lots and lots of people!!!!
                  Haha of course people still want Windows, I still run XP Pro on both my PC and my laptop, I just choose to use Linux/BSD aswell :)

For the newbie its the best way to get them to try Linux without messing up their system. since you can't mess up your system because you can't write to your hard drive unless you mount it differently
                  I'm not sure Knoppix is a great teaching/learning tool, but many of those common mistakes (err what does FIPS do?) need to be made by some users :) A bootable distribution bypasses all the basic lessons on mount points and LILO etc. I actually run Knoppix on my laptop with a 256MB homedir and userconfig image file, has no problems whatsoever living on my secondary VFAT partition. As long as it's saves my XMMS playlist I'm happy.

I would love a link to that Security-orientated version of Knoppix, unfortuantely my PCMCIA Ethernet card is not recognised by the current release :( I'm not sure if it's possible to add drivers to the system after its booted without obviously burning a new image of the CD. Any help on cardmgr and the sort would be appreciated :)

Comment

Okay, so its just gone and started a whole new thread to what was supposed to be a reply, if an admin feels like moving the above post please do so. Else apologies, this was not an attempt at spam :P

Comment

That's what ya get when ya hit the New Thread button instead of the Post Reply one. :devil win

Comment

I'm not sure Knoppix is a great teaching/learning tool, but many of those common mistakes (err what does FIPS do?) need to be made by some users :) A bootable distribution bypasses all the basic lessons on mount points and LILO etc. I actually run Knoppix on my laptop with a 256MB homedir and userconfig image file, has no problems whatsoever living on my secondary VFAT partition. As long as it's saves my XMMS playlist I'm happy.

I would love a link to that Security-orientated version of Knoppix, unfortuantely my PCMCIA Ethernet card is not recognised by the current release :( I'm not sure if it's possible to add drivers to the system after its booted without obviously burning a new image of the CD. Any help on cardmgr and the sort would be appreciated :)
                        While you may not learn how to partition a machine using knoppix you will learn the ins and outs of using KDE [or whatever window manager you decide to load at bootup] for most windows only users that in itself is a big switch. you also give people an idea of the quality of the applications they'll most likely be running if they do switch in whole or in part. :thumb:

Knoppix-STD or security tools distribution is available here: http://www.knoppix-std.org/

I can't really help you with the PCMCIA ethernet card I generally stick with the major brands so I won't run into that kind of problem. Although I have heard a little about some people actually installing Knoppix to their hard drives then adding/removing packages/drivers/etc and recreating their own custom ISO of knopipix so I do know it is possible but it requires you have the time & machine to install it on.

Comment

What is KNOPPIX®?

KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals.

KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

Its just I havent seen post about KNOPPIX, thats why i decided to post about it.

Comment

if you prefer GNOME over KDE then gnoppix is for you :)
                            http://www.gnoppix.org/
                            Last Updated:
                            10th MARCH

======================
                            =======================
                            yabaa dabaa doo...
                            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I'm not sure Knoppix is a great teaching/learning tool, but many of those common mistakes (err what does FIPS do?) need to be made by some users A bootable distribution bypasses all the basic lessons on mount points and LILO etc.
                              I agree with this. I am learning Linux basically from scratch in command line mode, which GRUB loads me into. I have Knoppix-STD, but I find it not very useful a lot of the time other than poking around.

The best way, IMO, to learn Linux first is to learn the command line mode with all the strange commands as compared with Windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X