Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux took on Microsoft, and won big in Munich

USAToday - Linux took on Microsoft, and won big in Munich
    I realize the Linux victory in Germany is 'old news' now but this article sums up the events and sheds some light on some of M$ business practices

it's a fairly long article, but worth the read IMO

[b]"What the Berlin Wall was to politics, Munich is to technology," says SuSE CEO Richard Seibt. "I believe we are now witnessing that dramatic break to freedom of choice."

Though Microsoft underbid IBM and SuSE by .9 million in Munich
    Holy Crap Linux is expensive! MS's Bid was .7 million! 34.6 Mil for Linux, yowza.

"Microsoft's philosophy is to change our software every five years," Strobl says. "With open-source, it is possible for us to make our own decision as to when to change our software."
    Omg, any entity not willing to upgrade their software after 5 years has gotta be a bit dillusional. PC's 5 years ago were P2 200's - 300's, and the software was equally inefficient. Computers are just too dynamic to not upgrade after 5 years.

Comment

windows 98 has been out for 5 years now and how many people and businesses are still using it? and with M$ recent subscripton strategy it forces busnesses to upgrade practially every time M$ comes out with something new..much more frequent than 5 years...and much more expensive. the ONLY reason M$ was going to allow Munich a 6 year lease (instead of 3) without forcing them to upgrade was because they were desperate to keep Linux from getting the bid

Comment

You made my point for me, consider the individuals and companies still using win 98, and win 95, and win 3.1 for that matter. These are companies and individuals who have no need for better stuff, or clearly they'd upgrade. Everyone else has moved on. Is anyone forcing these companies to upgrade? Of course not.

Comment

What ****s companies, governments and organisations off the most is that everytime M$ upgrades an os is that hardware needs to be upgraded as well to cope with the extra demands placed upon it which Linux doesn't really require.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            What ****s companies, governments and organisations off the most is that everytime M$ upgrades an os is that hardware needs to be upgraded as well to cope with the extra demands placed upon it which Linux doesn't really require.
            well i won't entirely agree with it Wiggo. if you want to run a redhat 9.0 with all it graphics, 192MB of RAM is recommended. now i saw PC's with 32MB of RAM working fine on older versions of redhat. though windows requires lots of resources then linux do but if a thing is evolving then it would surely require more resources. :cheers:
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
            X