PCmark Troubles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCmark Troubles..

Every time that I run PCmark04 or 05, it gets about half way through, then I get the ol' blue screen of death.

I'm not overclocking at all, specs are in my sig. I have Media Encoder 9 and WMP10 installed as well.

Anyone know why I might be crashing like this? Is there something I missed about the program, or could it be a hardware problem?

Re: PCmark Troubles..

What power supply are you using? What temperatures are you getting on the X2?

Comment

It gets to step Raw Block Write - 8MB and then just stops about halfway through the task.

Idols at about 23C. Highest temp I saw before the lockup was 38C ( it locked up @ 33 though ).
      PSU is in my sig now but for the sake of saying it, it's 480W..

I wouldn't think my power supply would be the problem seeing as how I don't have an SLI setup, correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by darkDemyZe; 01-17-2006, 06:24 PM.

Comment

There's a good chance it is. A 7800GT and X2 4400 will eat up a lot of power, though I think you'd probably be in better shape than this.

Originally posted by DemyZe
        It gets to step Raw Block Write - 8MB and then just stops about halfway through the task.
        Huh?

But that reminds me, try memtest86+ from my signature, unless that's what you were referring to.

Comment

Step 21 of 40 in PCmark04 is labeled as "Raw Block Write - 8MB"
          when it gets to this step, it gets about halfway through the task, and then everything locks up completely.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what it could be..nevertheless ill try memtest too
          Last edited by darkDemyZe; 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Okay, I tried memtest and got no errors at all, I let it run 3 times and still got no errors. But I still end up with the same crash every time. I don't understand it. I think I'll take this one over to anandtech and see if anyone has any suggestions unless someone else can think of something here?

Comment

What I was getting to was power supply. That PSU isn't quite as powerful as I would want for this system, though I'd be suprised if it were really this unstable just because of the PSU.

Comment

Well that's what I'm thinking. Honestly I think it should be enough, granted I'm not as experienced as you are but still..it just seems kinda rediculous that a non SLI, non overclocked system couldn't be powered by this power supply. The thing is, I have no trouble in ANY other tests, prime95 works fine, all the 3DMarks run great..I got a 3975 3Dmark score in 06 and a 1594 CPU score.

I mean, does PC mark really stress your system THAT much more or something? I just don't see why this is the only program that doesn't work..

Comment

If it passes Prime95 then I say it's a software issue and probably not your system's fault. Who cares about PCMark anyway? It's a benchmark program that basically tells you nothing.

Comment

There are soooo many reasons for it to fail like that, you could spend weeks trying to figure it out. Personally, I do not like ABIT boards and want to blame it for your problems. Is the bios the latest available for it? Have you made sure it is fully compatible with the X2 CPU? Antec power supplies are known to have issues with high end hardware. I am not a big fan of them either. Also, make sure that the timings for your ram are set properly in bios. Do not rely on the bios to do it right.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
                      Personally, I do not like ABIT boards and want to blame it for your problems.
                      That's just rediculous. ABIT's K8 boards aren't really anything special, but there's nothing all that wrong with them either. They're perfectly stable and don't have any sort of problems like this.

Antec power supplies are known to have issues with high end hardware. I am not a big fan of them either.
                      Also rediculous. Antec PSUs work just fine with high-end hardware. His PSU might be an issue simply because it's not powerful enough, not because it's Antec.

But like I said, who cares? PCMark is all but useless and it's not worth worrying about.

Comment

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, the BIOS is compatable with my proc, at least that's what I'm lead to believe by Abit's website..I have the most recent update.

I suppose you're right though that it's not really that big a deal in the first place since it's the ONLY thing that I've had problems with thus far..hopefully I don't run into anything else though..

edit: my ram is set right too..

Comment

Reinstall PCmark?

Comment

I said "Personally, I do not like ABIT boards and want to blame it" meaning that I do not like them, but it is not to blame. As for the power supply, google "Antec PSU 7800 issues" and you will find lots of people having issues using Antec PSUs in high end machines.

And yes, I would reinstall PC Mark and see if it helps. Futuremark has a support forum as well, you'd most likely get an answer there that would help.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate
                            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

As for the power supply, google "Antec PSU 7800 issues" and you will find lots of people having issues using Antec PSUs in high end machines.
                              I found no people on the first two pages of the Google search that were having problems except for a few using 450W and 430W PSUs with 7800s, which is going to be problematic 95% of the time, regardless of brand. The only things worth noting were a specific incombatabilty between a certain Antec PSU and a certain ASUS motherboard and problems that people have been having with the entire Neo HE line. I've give you that, but there doesn't seem to be any widespread problems with Smartpower and Truepower.

All that said, a Google search is not really an accurate way to test the quality of a PSU brand.

And BTW, I didn't go through the results, but there are substantially more results for "OCZ PSU 7800 issues" than for "Antec PSU 7800 issues." Other PSUs have substantially fewer results than both. Granted, this is likely because Antec makes some very popular cases and OCZ makes popular RAM, but that just furthers my point that you can't test this with a Google search.
                              Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-22-2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X