This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3DMark05 Scores

He meant processes, not services. I have 11 or 10, depending on whether or not I close Explorer. But you need to understand that I turn off my antivirus, firewall, all applications, and disable a lot of functionality. You'll want to read through Windows XP Tweaking: Reformat to Relax" on www.tweakguides.com. You'll also want to read through the services guide on www.blackviper.com. But remember, you'll end up temporarily disabling functionality in many way every time you game to get so few (10-13) processes, and it won't be much worse at 15 or greater but your computer will still function without needing you to go into services.msc and starting services that you had stopped.

sr4470, if you check the tests using Catalyst AI, you'll find that they don't reduce image quality at all.

Comment

Yes I meant processes. Another good thing to do is create a bat file that will stop the services not required for gaming. To do this just create a new text document on your desktop called "netstop.bat". Now you cna go to start -> run _> "services.msc" then look at any of the services that are running that are not required for gaming. Now that you know what ones you want to disable just put a line like this in the .bat file

NET STOP "Automatic Updates"

Do that for every service you want disabled. and save the .bat file. NOw when you double click this all your services that you chose to stop will stop. This is really helpful for anti-virus and other stuff.

If you want to start these services back up later after gfaming then just do the same thing but name the file "netstart.bat" and for every service that is in the other change STOP to START so it will look like this.

NET START "Automatic Updates"

Comment

I thought about doing that, but I'm usually to lazy to create batch files for this type of thing, even though it would be easier than regularly going into services.msc...

Comment

I find it very helpful as all I have to do is double click the netstop.bat file and it will quickly stop all of them listed. Then after gaming i just run netstart.bat so my other stuff works.

Comment

Yeah, I went and set it up so it'll turn off (and on) my AV and printing services. I leave just about everything else disabled anyway since I'll be reformatting this thing soon (ie no need for the Windows Update crap).

Comment

i got 5200..

asus k8v-se deluxe
              amd 64 3400+
              corsair 1gb ram
              geforce 6800 ultra overclocked to 440 mhz/1.16ghz
              WD sata 74 gig 10k rpm hdd

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
                I like to think my image quality is 100%, I stayed away from geforce FX due to Nvidia's past optimisations (shader replacement etc). I always use FSAA and anisotropic filtering in games, and im tired of this 9600's "brilinear" filtering, which causes problems in a few games (visible mipmap transitions on surfaces). I like the fact Nvidia has sorted out their image quality with the geforce 6 series and the Directx 9.0c compliance is also nice. Catalyst A.I. doesnt suit my tastes at all.

Edit: The seperate Direct3D and OpenGL settings are useful to me, due to the games i play i find 4x FSAA + 8x aniso is good for OpenGL and 2x FSAA + 8x aniso is good for Direct3D games without killing the framerate.
                man how does your rig blow mine away?

I have AMD Athlon XP 2700 (overclocked to 2.3 ghz)
                MSI K7N2 Delta-L 400 Mhz
                1.5 gigs of PC3200 Kingston ram (3 dimms)
                BFG GeForce FX 5500 256 meg OC (i overclocked even more)

my previous test got 468 but im gonna test it with my few minor ajustments... is the 9600 ATI that much better than the 5500?

Comment

The FX5500 is just an FX5200 with the chip clock increased from 250 to 270mhz. Its an entry-level card comparable to radeon 9550...the 9600 is clocked higher and its in a different price class

Edit: Try taking out 1 of those ram sticks, it may help... and install the latest Forceware drivers (I can provide those if you want)
                  Last edited by sr4470; 11-12-2004, 10:40 AM.

Comment

OK now I cant seem to run this program it says when I press "Run Test" or "Start Test" or whatever it says cannot run pixelshader somthing or other and then I cant run the test.

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
                      The FX5500 is just an FX5200 with the chip clock increased from 250 to 270mhz. Its an entry-level card comparable to radeon 9550...the 9600 is clocked higher and its in a different price class

Edit: Try taking out 1 of those ram sticks, it may help... and install the latest Forceware drivers (I can provide those if you want)
                      damn you gotta be kidding me. I thought the 5500 was it's own card.... yah tell me what i can do to make things run better...

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmep
                        damn you gotta be kidding me. I thought the 5500 was it's own card.... yah tell me what i can do to make things run better...
                        Yes the FX5500 is just an upgrade of the FX5200 so to make things better sell that "low end" card and replace it with something that has more balls.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
                          Yes the FX5500 is just an upgrade of the FX5200 so to make things better sell that "low end" card and replace it with something that has more balls.
                          yah im selling it on sunday... getting 100 for it and Dues Ex 2 w00t! ill have the 9800 Pro soon!

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmep
                            yah im selling it on sunday... getting 100 for it and Dues Ex 2 w00t! ill have the 9800 Pro soon!
                            Did you find a PCP addict that's into video games or something? You can get them brand new for much less than that, and they aren't worth it then, either...

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                              Did you find a PCP addict that's into video games or something? You can get them brand new for much less than that, and they aren't worth it then, either...
                              haha no. its 80 for the card to him and teh extra 20 is for Dues Ex 2...

Comment

You had me confused there. I thought you meant you were getting the game, which would be rediculous, even though it's not exactly the greatest game... Still, that's a pretty good deal on your part.

Comment

Working...
                                X