• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I expect much more?

My aquamark3 scores are -
    CPU 6,380
    GFX 767
    Total 7,233 (prior tweaking 6,400)
    At the moment i've only tried overclocking the proc and graphics card, still very much a noob, but is there any point going further till I get more RAM and upgrade the graphics card. I'm running

GA-7VA-C mobo
    ATA100 80Gb 7200 rpm
    Apollo KT133
    AMD 2600+ @ 2.11
    Geforce4 MX 440 :oops:
    256 SDRAM :cry:
    XPHome SP1
    This all started because of problems running amongst others TW2004, is this mainly because the graphics card cant handle the level of 3D support needed?
    Once the finances improve what needs upgrading RAM or card? Unfortunatley cant do both at the mo :(
    Any help you can give is much appreciated .Thanks All

The main things that are holdin' back are the video card (obviously) plus the mobo and the memory which can't supply the bandwidth that the CPU is capable of (more memory may help a little but not by much as its not DDR).

Comment

That CPU is insanely fast on an Nforce2 400ultra chipset w/ DDR, as wiggo said, your current configuration is choking it. You might want to look into a little upgrade, a good nForce 2 mobo goes for $65, 512MB of dual channel DDR400 is $90. Not bad at all. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Thanks Wiggo and Mista K6

Right i've looked around for upgrades and loosely decided upon the following upgrades:-
        ASUS Nforce2 Ultra 400 Chipset, model A7N8X-X (48 GBP)
        Corsair Value Select 512mb DDR PC3200 (60 GBP)
        And either -
        Gainward GF FX 5700 Ultra 880, 256mb (105 GBP)
        Radeon 9600 XTmb DDR (108 GBP) or
        Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb DDR (85 GBP)

How does it look, and which gfx card would be best, after reading around they all seem to be decent with little to choose between them?

Comment

Both the motherboard and RAM are great choices. As far as video cards go, its a matter of preference. Don't go with the 256MB version of a 9600Pro, the RAM is slow on it. A 5700u is a good card if you're looking for FPS solely. If you like image quality, get the 9600XT, as it is the best performer once FSAA or AF is turned on. If you want to spend a little more, go for a 9700Pro, as those are great cards that are really coming down in price. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Also another choice would be the gforce fx 5900se by evga. only $189 us Evga has an upgrade option to upgrade their cards later onn in case you want something better in the future

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mista K6, probably wont get them all at the same time so i'll make the card my last purchase and see what the prices are then and maybe stretch the finances a little :roll:

Comment

Very good plan :thumb: : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Cheers Mista K6 and I'll be sure to post my problems when i start to upgrade :wow: :hammer:

Comment

Working...
                  X