Anti-virus software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-virus software?

ok, deal is I have Windows XP as my O/s and had a top of the range but now 6 months old PC, so fast/big/strong enough to cope with most software.

If you could start again, which anti-virus software would you use with the above?
    which has the least compatability / crash issues?
    easiest to set up / install?
    most reliable?
    best / most reliable updates?

any info gratefully received.....

:cheers:
    Sunshine xxx

I generally use Norton as it comes standard with my NIS software firewall. Also, Symantec is among the best in terms of keeping up with modern virus and worms that come out regularly.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Norman's would be another. :)

Comment

smart-arse Wiggo.....

:rolleyes2

Comment

Most reviews of anti-virus software have both Norman and Norton fighting out for the top spot. ;)

Comment

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wiggo wasn't being sarcastic... there really is a Norman branded anti-virus program that has been shown to do a very fair job in the AV department. ;)
            My Toys

Comment

(darn, no blushing smily)

ok, will check out Normans... sorry..... & thanks Wiggo....

:kay:

Comment

I'll see what I can do to find a blushing smilie. :)
                My Toys

Comment

:o

^ I thought that was it.
                  Nobody likes to use it, but I've placed myself in the position of requiring it a time or 2 :D
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I'm cheap by nature. so I go with a free antivirus product which is pretty good.

AVG AntiVirus from grisoft. http://www.grisoft.com/

enjoy..:cheers:

Comment

I seem to have contracted a Boot Sector virus. I have cleaned one of my hard drives but the drive that used to be my main drive has it still and Win XP doesnt see it as having been formatted. The drive is a 120 gig drive that had about 9 gig of info on it and it is now being labled as a 111 gig drive. I have McAfee Professional AV but i am still unable to get it to read the drive as a formatted drive. It was formatted with FAT32 but is now only able to be formatted under NTFS. Does anyone know how to get the drive to be read and scanned? I have been told to do some wild stuff..everythign from freeze it for 30sec. Tap on the drive spindle head 10 times....this is almost like a case of the hiccoughs!! does anyone know of a software or a procedure to follow to remove this and still save the Data? This is making me pull my hair out!!!

Comment

A potentially dangerous situation.
                        If the virus is present in data you recover from the drive, you run the risk of reinfection - might want to do a thorough risk assessment before proceeding.

That said;
                        It is possible to restore a boot sector. I'm not sure of the exact procedure for Windows XP (the question is, does fdisk /MBR apply to this OS?).

It may be possible to recover the data whith help of a recovery utility --- such as Disk Investigator, which you can get for free at;
                        http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

I have used this utility in 9x with great success.
                        It reads the data in it's raw form directly from the HDD -- I have actually recovered data 3 weeks after it's deletion in 1 instance, 27 Mb ___ and that's with using the PC normally the whole time.
                        (I still have no recollection of ever deleting that darn file???)
                        At least that method will be non destructive to the data on the HDD and might be worth a try till another better method is presented.

Again, if you recover an infected file you could lose what you have going for you now.

Any info you can supply regarding what virii exactly has struck your PC may help to supply a more pertinent answer.
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I'd probably do it the old fashioned way, and yes, the fdisk /mbr command would be highly advisable.

Start the system with a bootable Win98 floppy disk and start off with the fdsik /mbr command to the drive. From there, you should be able to go into the standard fdisk command and remove all partitions. If you're in NTFS file system right now, then you'll just need to delete the non-DOS partitions and anything else you find in there.

From here, you should be able to create a partition(s) and format it in whatever floats your boat.
                          My Toys

Comment

FDISK /MBR will work.

if you want another alternative. boot off the XP CDROM and run the recovery console.

when you get the command prompt type HELP

theres 2 commands in there which may help.

FIXMBR and FIXBOOT..

Comment

Hey thanks for the responses! I am going to try out this info and see if it works! I will let you all know what is up thou i am leaving for the holidays and wont be back till after Christmas. I just hope i can get this figured out before i leave so I don't have this sitting on my mind!!

Comment

Working...
                              X