I appear to have a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I appear to have a problem?

OK, I been using a P2P app pretty heavy in the past weeks.
    I recently noticed that I am showing that I am sending 8 bytes more when I upload a file than the file actually has.

Anybody got a line on what's going on??

I have suspended all file sharing of any type till I get a handle on this.

An AV scan shows nothing to be reported??
    P2P program glitch perhaps???

I don't know, and I surely don't want to infect anyone -- could 8 bytes even contain enough to be harmful??

I'd appreciate any light you folks could throw on this!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

um you gotta be pretty damn observant to notice an extra 8 bytes. However usually the file info is always messed up. When I download a movie the files are usually 698 even though it claims I downloaded 715meg.

Comment

Files I'm DL'ing are accurate, just the uploads are 8 over?

I'm going to reinstall the client and see what happens.
      Keep your fingers crossed!
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

lol ok.........how could you notice a whole 8 bytes? lol that's almost like the day when olie noticed the little blue dot in the tweaktown graphic. lol

Comment

Many of the P2P utilities are spyware in nature. Is it possible that this is some generic info being passed along to a third party?

Just a thought.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

hmm.........well I dought that considering that I used a "crack from another author" (lol just a joke from someone elses thread on hacking and cracking) kazaa and rid it of its spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
              Many of the P2P utilities are spyware in nature. Is it possible that this is some generic info being passed along to a third party?

Just a thought.
              This particular breed is not supposed to contain any of that garbage - which is the reason I have used it for more than a year.
              I've reinstalled it, but it may be a while before someone completes a DL so I can see the result.

I honestly never noticed a discrepency in file size before this AM?

I'm stumped...........:geek:

Comment

What client do you use? I've used alot and most of the ones I've touched are spyware. I used to use Morphies but when Kazaa kicked them off there network I was forced to move over to Kazaa. Kazaa has spyware until I "used some elses crack" to remove the spyware. I have tried direct connect and that seems to have a bit of spyware as well. Limewire is spyware as well. You useing IRC?

Comment

http://www.winmx.com

Comment

oh I forgot about that one. My brother uses it sometimes.

Comment

Mr.C you may find that those few extra bytes that are being used are the packet confirmations being sent back letting the other end know that the d/l is going well and there are no errors during the transfer or if a packet is damaged to resend it. ;)

Comment

Near as I can tell that must be it?
                        Seems the 8 are being uploaded first and counted as part of the total file in the upload window.

I never noticed before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening:D
                        I just don't want to be passing around any harmful content. I have found instances of virii that append 8 bytes to executables but I haven't been uploading any of those.

At this point it seems harmless - and folks keep coming back for more:laugh:

Comment

Working...
                        X