This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about OEM

I have a question about OEM products. (Original Equipment Manufacturer) I was wondering if the lawyers that wrote the OEM UELA did it that way on purpose, because you can buy(for example) a $90.00 (OEM) CD of a FULL VERSION of microsoft windows xp professional(NO other OS needed!) on www.newegg.com and all you really have to purchase extra is a piece of hardware to stay legal! BUT....the EULA does not require WHICH piece of hardware you have to buy, so you can just purchase a cheap cable for a couple of dollars extra, and get the full version software which USUSLLY costs $299.00 retail! I know that OEMs only carry a limited warranty and no tech support and no manual (usually an online txt. that is downloadable), but the money you save (to me anyways) is worth it! And by the way, I get MUCH better tech support off of boards like this one! THIS board is where I begin, if I have trouble with my hardware and tweakxp.com is where I go if the OS is giving me trouble. So I really am wondering WHY have the EULA set up so anybody with brains can get a good piece of software at a fraction of the cost?? NOT that I am complaining, just wondering why sell this CD at $90.00 and the SAME CD (Retail with box manual and warranty and tech support) at $299.00???? (MSRP) Just wondering..........
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

I'm not sure about where you are but here ya have to get something like a hard drive, motherboard, CPU, expensive video card or the likes to qualify for the OEM version of Windows not something cheap though some place stipulate a system. :smokin:

Comment

most of the OEM stuff I've seen, you basically need to buy a motherboard or some other large component, as Wiggo said..

Comment

Well even if that is true, you can probably buy a cheapo sound card OR 56k modem for next to nothing and THAT would be a piece of hardware, just not an EXPENSIVE piece of hardware.....I just wonder if the LIMITS are set by the people that make the softwaare or the ones selling it to you????? By the way, I live in Illinois in the United States.
        Here are my specs:
        System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Don't be surprised if a cheap part doesn't get it for you. : peace2:

Comment

Here in the States, you just have to buy a cheap mouse or cable or something to qualify for the OEM software. Can't say why that is, but it sometimes makes it worth it. I went with a Microsoft open license agreement myself, though, so my cost was close to retail. Of course, not having to activate the damn thing every time I change out a few parts made it a deal in my books. :)

webe3,
            Where in Illinois? Though I am in Texas now, I grew up in the village of Morton (about 6 miles from Peoria).
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Actually I am in PEORIA! You say you used to live in morton?(Morton is on the outskirts of Pekin, right?) My uncle Rodney has a bodyshop there called Sandrock Autobody! Small world, huh? Yeah, I was pretty sure that was true about buying a cheap cable or something to meet the requirements of OEM (in the United States anyway) because I read that on a website that was in the US! But I really don't know if that was an oversight by the lawyers creating such a "legal loophole" that you can get cheap OEM software and buy a cable instead of a whole system....and STILL be LEGAL. Is wiggo living in another country? Mabye the laws are different there.........
              Here are my specs:

Comment

That's right ;)

<---- Australia :thumb:

Comment

Unless Morton has grown a whole bunch, it's not on the outskirts of Pekin. Of course, it was 1981 when I left there to join the Marines. It was a whole lot closer to Peoria than Pekin, but Pekin is the county seat.

As to the issue of OEM software, it is designed for the system builder. It allows them to purchase the OS at a lower cost and sell their computers for a more reasonable price. It lets the builder make some money and continues to line the pockets of the mighty Microsoft Corporation. And we all know that Microsoft really wants to own the computing world with their OS.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

Yeah, only moved here a couple of years ago and could not remember where morton was....asked my friends who have been here all of their life and they said the same thing. Well as far as the OEM issue is concerned, I think I am going to take advantage of this US "loophole"! It's about time I was able to get a microsoft OS FULL VERSION for a reasonable price.....HE! HE! Hey wiggo, as far as Australia goes, I always wanted to go there, I heard it is beautiful country. The main reason I want to go is to take a tour on a boat and be able to get into a cage in scuba gear and see a great white shark! Always wanted to do that! Notice I said.... in a cage.... NOT open water!
                    Here are my specs:

Comment

Wiggo Maybe Australia should annex the US and straighten things out.

Comment

Now there's a thought. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by drpeterbright
                          Wiggo Maybe Australia shoud annex the US and straighten things out.

No.......I don't think americans will go for that......
                          Here are my specs:

Comment

I'm sure they'd like to do it the other way round though... oh wait... they have :(.

Comment

The 51st state or the United States of Australia.

Comment

Working...
                              X