Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted startup program....argh!

Hi,
    seems im becoming a regular on this site... (don't know whether thats good or bad :P)

anyway..... I've notcied taht there is a program running on my computer which i dont want......... its not installed in add/remove programs it just exits in the (Ctrl alt del task list) and I believe this is writing information to the hard drive and preventing me from defragging and running scandisk. I have run PC-cillin to see if its a virus but it comes up with no viruses found. the name of this pc demon is
    OSSPROXY and I have disabled it using msconfig but it still starts back up as if I had never done so. How could I remove it totally?

(Also I keep getting an unwanted popup online no matter where i go that does nothing but sit there.... I think its related).

It all goes back to when i was in the middle of completing some online optimisation thing (which was bollox) and then suddenly all this started.

my O/S is win98

any help would be greatly appreciated
    cheers.

That is an internet/networking prog of some sort goin' by the name but if ya go Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information then go to Tools in the window that opens then select System Configuration Utility and go to the Startup tab you'll find there a list of all programs that run at Startup where you'll be able to stop that prog by unticking it but becareful of what you untick there also. :smokin:

Comment

cheers m8 i'll give it a whirl...

since i doubt its vital to my o/s could i delete the program from windows\system?

Comment

This OSSPROXY has been attributed to be a part of MarketShare's Netsetter in certain instances. (Sound familiar? or perhaps they used another name?)

DL and run Ad-Aware, that may help.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

ok, if you really want to stop the program from starting up completely, click Start > Run > type "regedit". Now go throught the registyery and find these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

If there is a short cut to OSSPROXY in either of the registery Keys delete the shortcut adn hey presto, it won't start up any more.
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

:D
            u guys rock...I'll try that regedit thing first and then I'll try adawar... where can i get that btw?

Yeah it was marketscore who had an online optimisation thing... total bollox if u ask me, anyway they must've installed it on my computer witout my knowing .. scum....

I also get these marketscore popups all the time.... if i get rid of this ossproxy will they stop too?

cheers for the help anyways guys.

Comment

Oh yeah ... another one that appeared the same time and in the same directory is NScheck.... anyone recognise that .. co i'll get rid of that too if its the cause of the popups?

(regedit did have ossproxy in ..... those advertising *******s gotto h8 em)

thanks again

Comment

Nope I havn't heard of that one but ya get Ad-Aware from here and run it first as it will clean the registery. :smokin:

Comment

Just let this be a lesson to all.
                  Beware software that promises better connections. If it were true, we'd all be on a T1:laugh:

If anyone can get me a T1, email me and I'll get a blank CD to you ASAP
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

umm.. i seem to remember albinus talking about the tafe that he goes to getting T1, or having T1:?:
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I suddenly have an interest in higher education.......:D

Comment

Working...
                      X