• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my comp crashed

my pc crashed out last night and today i had to reinstall windows

right the tricky part

rather than reinstalling the windows xp fully what i did was :

i didnt delete the partition as my bro said tat if you dont delete the partition and just reinstall xp on the partition that already has xp on it you will be able to retrieve the data on your pc

and i have retrieved the data 200 gigs worth

but has left me with 1 problem i have tryed to copy the data with nero and ashampoo it says burnn completed successfully but when i look on the disk there is nothin on it i lookedat the disk and you can see the laser marks where the data should be on the disk its like its all a data ghost !!! SPOOKY!!!

i would download all over again but would take sometime

heres another thing all the data is films music and games yet they all work

also 1 last thing i had flatout already on hdd installed it earlier and it still works
    so if theres any genius out there lookin 4 a challenge please please help me as i dont know wat to do all the best from 1 gamer 2 another!!

Re: my comp crashed

Reinstall Nero and it should work properly again as long as your system is stable. When you reinstall Windows over the existing copy, you don't have the updates you once did, and more importantly for your programs, you don't have the registry entries that were created during the initial installation of the program. This can cause problems in some programs but may not have an adverse effect on others.

Once you do this, I would recommend backing up your data and scrapping the entire system and reinstalling Windows properly. It is also a good idea (especially with a HDD as large as the one you are using) to create two partitions. I generally use a 30-40GB partition as the C:\ drive for the OS and my main applications (Nero, Office, etc) and use the remaining space for the D:\ partition, where I install my games and store my important data. That way the next time Windows screws up (it will happen), I can simply reformat the C:\ drive and reinstall without losing my important data and saved games.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

right like usaid i tired to reinstall the nero7 software plus i tried to update the program and that went well yet i still cant get to copy stuff and all i get is a message box sayin unexpected exception?

now here is a revelation didnt notice the last time i posted

when i go into properties for my dvd writer
      which is a SONY dvdrw AWG170A
      it says the device type is a dvd/cd-rom drives
      it says manufacture is standard cd-rom drives
      location 0(0)
      now when i click on my computer it says that drive d is a cd drive and the disk symbol has dvd r written on it ?
      new revelation again i tried to copy to cd and it worked so i hope this narrows it down it will copy to cd but not dvd
      i checked and all folders copy correctly
      i hope u guys can help me with this problem hope to here from u soon

Comment

when i put a dvd disc init it doesnt even read the disc

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
          Reinstall Nero and it should work properly again as long as your system is stable. When you reinstall Windows over the existing copy, you don't have the updates you once did, and more importantly for your programs, you don't have the registry entries that were created during the initial installation of the program. This can cause problems in some programs but may not have an adverse effect on others.

Once you do this, I would recommend backing up your data and scrapping the entire system and reinstalling Windows properly. It is also a good idea (especially with a HDD as large as the one you are using) to create two partitions. I generally use a 30-40GB partition as the C:\ drive for the OS and my main applications (Nero, Office, etc) and use the remaining space for the D:\ partition, where I install my games and store my important data. That way the next time Windows screws up (it will happen), I can simply reformat the C:\ drive and reinstall without losing my important data and saved games.

Good luck.
          hi im back now can you check all my threads

Comment

Working...
          X