Dual CPU Programs????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual CPU Programs????

Just a quick question....is Adobe Premier 6.0 Dual Processor Ready...like for a dual AMD MP system???...thanks...lataz

FiReBLaZR

Premiere 6 doesn't officially support the use of dual processors, though I think that you'd still get some performance gain out of using two....

Comment

If it isn't supported, there would be no gain would there:?:
      Except any other program you would run concurrently would gain as it could run on the other CPU.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I thought the OS / MB helped out by sharing the load across two CPUs? :?:

Comment

They do play an integral part, provided the program is coded for it.
          The big downfall of running a dualie setup is that few programs are coded to take advantage of it:(

The vast majority of programs can't take any advantage whatsoever, as the program will be entirely run through a single processor. But a proper Dual CPU OS can take advantage of non-multiple CPU coded programs by running concurrently running programs on different CPU's, thereby providing better multitasking.

Kind of a drag isn't it? All that processing power going to waste because the programs don't know how to take advantage of it.

Someday they will get computers to work right, but I probably won't understand any of it:laugh:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

... fair enough then. That takes all the fun out of dual processor PC's then...

Comment

At this point in time there is little reason for the average user to spend the extra $'s for a dual-CPU system.

I think that PSP is coded for dual processors, but that definitely makes it part of a very short list.

LOL but at times wouldn't it be nice if you could run Windows on one processor and let the other handle the light work:D Sorry, that was an unfair and wholly deserved dig at XP

Comment

I was under the assumption that XP is the first OS to be able to handle dual processors for whatever the system is doing... I know previous OS's were such so that programs needed specific code to work, but I thought I read that XP took control and became the iterpreter (for lack of a better word) and worked between dual cpu's and whatever task at hand.

Comment

Windows XP Proffessional is indeed an OS that is designed to function on a dual-CPU system.
                  What you say is in essence true. However I don't think that it has the ability to delegate a program to run on more than one CPU unless the program has the specific capability of being divided in such a manner.
                  It can certainly share the load among the two processors by delegating which CPU will handle an assigned task thereby providing a marked increase in the level of performance of the overall system. As in CPU #1 could run Media Player while CPU #2 would get the task of running Office 2000.

Comment

Ok, thank you for the clarification. Does anyone know if Premier supports dual cpus?

And Mr. C do you have a link to an article from some where credible that discusses that? I would like to read more...

Comment

About 40% of the CAD/CAM application we run at work are multi-threaded.
                      To find out if it's worth setting up dual CPU's I usually just make a call to the support line.....

Comment

Working...
                      X