STAY AWAY fro McAFEE!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAY AWAY fro McAFEE!!!!!

STAY AWAY from McAFEE!! I bought the AV/Firewall combo in August. The firewall never worked as well as the FREE Zonealarm. The Antivirus worked until 10-25 when I bought WINXP and did a fresh install. When I tried to load McAfee AV I got the error that it was incompatible with this version of Windows. I contacted them and they gave me a patch. Recently I began having problems with Internet Explorer and upon the advice of MS uninstalled McAfee. That did not solve the problem but went I tried to reinstall, I got the incompatibilty error. Would McAfee give me the patch again.....NO!

"The only solution we can offer you is to upgrade to version 6.0." MY solution was to tell them I will NEVER buy one of their products again AND will tell everyone who will listen how they treat their customers.

$50 worth of software = worthless in 4 months!!!! :confused: :shoot2: :mad:

McAfee has been known as a very "so so" producer of software for a while now, which wasn't always the case, but the Nortons line of products would be a much better choice, though I'm not saying that they're the best.
    As for firewalls, I myself use ZoneAlarm as I've found it to be the most reliable. :smokin:
    :cheers:

Comment

Yes, McAfee has been in a downward slide for a few years now. Their AV products used to be among the best, but that was 4 years ago. Other AV products have had bad times, for intance I remember when Norton and Norman were crappy scanners, now they are the best around. I just think it's a phase - let's hope they fix it soon :thumb:
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I could be wrong here, but I get the distinct impression that McAfee (NAI) is trying to sway their customer base to the online scanning service they operate.

As a dial-up connector, I have serious issues with scanning my drives online (as in - take all freaking day). I'm sure that on McAfee's end, that it should save them a bundle of money.

Everyone wants to develop online services, but nobody wants to bring broadband to my house - except satellite of course. Which costs a fortune.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

AND as my friend who has DirectPC has found; is INCAPABLE of online gaming. Damn shame for those who do noy live in a city or town large enough to have broadband access.:eek:

Comment

Well, as I have never had a connection suitable for online gaming, DirecPC would be just fine with me. Too bad it costs $500 to get started, but I can't miss what I've never had!

Online gaming is like seafood here where I live, a nice sounding concept with no basis in reality.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

for starters - the online scanning loads a signed applet onto your computer - the scanning is done locally, but the engine is the only download, which would be SFA, as for mcaffee pushing people to that - i doubt it, as it doesn't run memory resident and prevent people from opening the *.exe files they got thru ICQ that are infected with a netbus server or wotever...so they are just plain "so-so"

if u are in australia, i'd highly recommend the VET anti-virus software, it is updated regularly and was one of the first to have a fix for their AV product out when Nimda hit...

it is big enough to do a good job - but small enough to be missed when Virus programmers target specific payloads on AV software - they never target Vet....

another good one is Norman
              IMHO norton haws too much overhead, and is not as effective as VET or norman...so for your $$$ i still go with VET

just my 2c

Comment

I to use zone alarm pro 2.6, and acording to all the security scans I've done I'm totally invisible. No IP address or anything. I highly recomend it. I upgraded to windows xp at x-mas time. What a mistake. Every piece of hardware on my system was incompatable with xp. It didn't come with an uninstall program with it so I had to reformat my hd to get rid of it. The best day of my life, hahahawinxp

Comment

I have a box full of McAfee coasters.;) Junk.

Comment

I'm with Skullshot, i use VET and never had a problem with it.

and i use ZA for a firewall. And Visualzone to report my logs to dshield.org who will follow it up with a letter to the attackers ISP

Comment

I have Mcafee and have "0" problems with it....however I have it set for nothing to load up and nothing to run in the back ground ever....I know its a bit risky with getting viruses through the internet....but I scan every file no matter what kind upon downloading it and I make a habit of scanning my hard drives every week or so....sometimes I get lazy but eh...no problems here....try that and see if it works for ya...

Comment

AND as my friend who has DirectPC has found; is INCAPABLE of online gaming
                        Haha, Um... duh! It isn't a Bandwidth issue, it is a Latency issue... While the speed of light may be fast, it still takes time to travel 22,200 miles up, and then 22,200 miles down... geosynchronous orbit comes at a price!

Not to mention, if you have a setup capable of uploading AND downloading.... then its YOU... up, down... internet... up down... YOU

whew we're already at 88 thousand miles....

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
                          I have Mcafee and have "0" problems with it....however I have it set for nothing to load up and nothing to run in the back ground ever....I know its a bit risky with getting viruses through the internet....but I scan every file no matter what kind upon downloading it and I make a habit of scanning my hard drives every week or so....sometimes I get lazy but eh...no problems here....try that and see if it works for ya...
                          Good luck with that guy. In the past month Norton has stopped these two little worms that I picked up just by surfing the web. One of them it's stopped 4 times already.
                          http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...n.exploit.html
                          http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...indowbomb.html

Comment

I have not had the same experience with McAfee package and XP, probably cos I have ver 6.0.
                            BUT.........
                            I now habe broadband (BT) and I have to switch off thef firewall then start the connection, open IE and OE then start the f/wall again before I can download & surf.
                            Is there a workaround. McAfee don't reply.
                            It's ok once I'm on but it's a bloody chore.
                            Docusk:mad:

Comment

I'm running Mc Afee version 6 virus scan as well as McAfee Guardian (firewall) constantly on my XP Pro system with no problems whatsoever. ... guess I'm just lucky so far but I'm happy with it.

As for surfing the net w/o having virus scan and/or a firewall I don't think I'd risk it these days. Kinda like having relationships with thousands of women w/o protection ... might be fun for awhile but eventually you will prolly catch something.
                              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X