No announcement yet.

STAY AWAY fro McAFEE!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Prairie Dawg. I just wonder if a complete re-install would help. I keep getting error msgs that I am missing a file TLS??? which doesn't seem to matter much (using norton) but will it hurt?
    I know it's only a ***** once a day but even so.....
    Doc

Comment

I've run McAfee for years and love it...They did have a bit of trouble when XP came out but most of that has been fixed..

For those of you that have any trouble McAfee has a very robust forum that usually helps out most people.

The users are extreamly helpful and McAfee tech support monitors them.

Comment

Sorry Docusk but I have no real answers for you. My virus scan and firewall worked the way they are supposed to right from the beginning. Reinstalling McAfee may solve your problem.

I see that you have posted on McAfee's forum. Hopefully some one there will have the answers.

Only info that I was able to find (with a quick Google search) is that TLS prolly stands for "transport layer security".
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I found a potential solution on the McAfee site and I'll be able to try it manana when I next boot up and login to my broadmand. The tip is for cable modems but the fix may be the same and I've download the update for Ver. 3 and installed it now.
          I'll keep the forum posted. Thanks
          Doc

Comment

For about a year now i have been using Kaspersky's AV and I perfer it over the Norton. Althought the Norton saved my butt a couple of times in the past, Its getting too damn bulky for my taste.
            Also why would you ever use IE is beyond my comprehension.
            Just my 2 cents

Comment

Docusk,

I hope the solution you found will work out for you. But on the off chance it doesn't please repost on the McAfee forums. Everyone there is extreamly helpful and wants a good outcome for you.

I've used that forum for quite a while now, it's better than any session with live tech support and there are some very talented professionals that take pride in the help they provide.

Best of Luck!!

Comment

Thanks. I did go to the McAfee forum and found what I thought was the same prob from another. Tried the solution - upgrade to 3.02 but it didn't work. Probably because I'm on straight broadband and he was on a cable modem.broadband. I'll go back and post properly. Thanks for the steer as I'd never have thought of it. They don't reply to ordinary e-mails - well not to me!
                Doc

Comment

Aha! I took down their worksheet and followed it step by step and it seems to have cured it, just re0-booted and straight into the PRO website!
                  Thanks very much! :cool:

Comment

That's great Docusk..

And your right.. ordinary Tech Support doesn't help much..but the forum gang knows their stuff!

Comment

Spoke 2 soon. It was ok with OE as it was still loaded (hibernated) but when rebooted, IE wouldn't get the default and had to kill firewall again. I'll get on and have a word with a tchie as My own is out all day and not available.
                      I keep telling him, he'll go blind.
                      Doc

Comment

Working...
                      X