IBM dismisses OpenOffice as child's play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM dismisses OpenOffice as child's play

*I'm not sure if this should go here or in the 'Linux' forum...

I'm not going to bash on any companies here, but I have a hard time agreeing with IMB's opinion of OpenOffice and StarOffice. The "bells and whistles" that OOo lacks are trivial IMO. The only thing M$ Office has that I miss is the abundant clip art and the massive collection of fonts. Both of which are widely available on the net and neither of which are very important to most businesses. If M$ isn't paying attention to these open source office suites, it should. This paragraph underlines my point rather well:

"The OpenOffice code has been downloaded more than 25 million times, and large OEMs such as Sony and Fujitsu-Siemens are shipping the suite with their PCs. The software's success helps out a valuable part of the Linux developer community and is key to making Linux on the desktop a reality for everyday PC users."

It also seems a little odd to me that IBM can be so buddy-buddy with M$ on one hand and support open source with a billion dollars on the other hand. Am I missing something here? :confused:

...OK, so maybe I did a little bashing after all
Working...
X