Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeware alternatives to StyleXP?

Hey!

Does anyone know of an alternative to StyleXP, since my Trial period has expired. IF you do, please post a link! :)

What the hell is Style XP??? :confused :?:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

its like windows blinds but specifically for xp if my memory serves me correctly
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
        its like windows blinds but specifically for xp if my memory serves me correctly
        Eh? Windows Blinds? :dunce: :o

Comment

Basically it's a nice little prog that manages the visual settings on windows, allows for some pretty sweet themes and stuff..

Comment

OK - I don't feel so dumb now :geek:

Comment

It's too bad that the only way one can register is to use the credit card! :thumbs do

Comment

17k Free
                http://www.tgtsoft.com/downloads/UxThemePatcher.zip
                Make sure you read the readme.txt

Comment

For what beta is this for, Thunder?

Comment

None. It's a freeware replacement for stylesxp.

Patcher for UXTHEME.DLL.

WARNING: User assumes all responsibility for running the patch program
                    and patching the uxtheme.dll file. User agress to hold harmless TGT Soft
                    LLC. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not patch the file.

To patch UXTHEME.DLL you must follow these directions. If it does not
                    work, please do not email us. We tried.

First, you must have administrator privileges.
                    Second, you must understand how to rename and copy files.
                    Third, you must understand where your system directory is and how to
                    navigate there (although the patcher will tell you where it is).

If you update your Windows(r) XP operating system, the patch may become
                    invalid.

Ready? Here are the instructions.

1) Run the uxthemepatcher.exe. This program will produce a "uxtheme.pat"
                    file in your system32 directory. If this program fails, DO NOT
                    CONTINUE.

2) After you have successfully run uxthemepatcher.exe, a message box
                    will tell you where the uxtheme.pat file is. If your system directory
                    is c:\windows\system32 -- the uxtheme.pat file will be there. If it is
                    c:\winnt\system32 -- the uxtheme.pat file will be there. And so on.
                    Make a mental note of where the .pat file is.

3) Assuming your system directory is c:\windows\system32 go into the
                    directory c:\windows\system32\dllcache. This directory may be hidden.
                    If it is, you need to unhide it to see it, or use the command prompt.

4) Rename the uxtheme.dll file in dllcache to uxtheme.bak (or some other
                    name).

5) Rename any uxtheme.dl_ or uxtheme.dll that might be found in other
                    locations on your system such as c:\i386 or the place where you
                    installed Windows(r) XP from.

6) Make sure you have NO CDs in your system (especially the Windows(r) XP
                    install CD!).

7) Assuming your system directory is c:\windows\system32 go into the
                    directory c:\windows\system32. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.bak or
                    some other name. Copy uxtheme.pat to uxtheme.dll.

8) You might get a warning from Windows System File Protection. You need
                    to answer the two questions properly, and on your own volition to
                    ensure that the uxtheme.dll file is not replaced with the original.

9) If all goes well, the uxtheme.dll will be the same DATE and TIME as
                    the uxtheme.pat. If this is the case, REBOOT. Do not logoff, you need
                    a full reboot.

Comment

But then how would I be able to retrieve the Visual Styles afterwards, Thunder?

Comment

Use the display properties. You also have to install the styles manually but thats easy.:)

Comment

Oh, I see! I wasn't sure at first! :)

Comment

Working...
                          X