Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autostart

hello everyone.

every morning i have to startup my computer in order for me to get any school work done. i was wondering if there was a setting some where in me that will allow you to set a startup time?

thank you for your help and anwsers.

WOW, someone is lazier than Beefy

Comment

WOW.. someone lazier than me.. :)

Very few MB's have the ability to wake up at specific times, but most people can usually manage to reach out and press the power button when they want their PC..

BUT, if you are really lazy and want this, then get someone to give you a phone call whenever you want your PC turned on, and enable Wake on Ring in your BIOS.. that way, when your modem detects the ringing phone, it will turn the PC on..

OR, you could rig the PC to an alarm clock.. really really badly... :)

Comment

or if that is too tiring for ya how bout just leavin yer PC on all the time.

Comment

and then set an alarm on the computer to wake you up...

BK, you're a genius.. *hugs birdkiller*

Comment

Gee I missed out on this one by the looks of it. :cry:

Comment

Thought i remembered something about a prog to do this.
              Not quite but i will mention it anyway.

WIZMO
              http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

written by Steve Gibson - yes he's the guy who made himself a self-professed expert on firewalls and offers that free Leaktest and all sorts of other stuff. He got a lot of flack for it.

Unfortunatley i didnt remember quite right . This program can be set to do delayed shutdown, reboot and so on but not from scratch.

Still maybe u could leave PC on, set it to hibernate, and then set it to reboot at a certain time so it's all good to good first thing for you?

Try it anyway. It's a 29kb downoad for criszakes!!

Let me know what u think - be nice: peace2:
              Splash

:afro:
              OK so my signature is lame - I can live with it!

Comment

I think it would be easier to just leave it on all the time.

Comment

Sure always on is ok but what about -

Windows instability
                  Unrecovered memory
                  Lightning and other power surges
                  'Green" economical use of power
                  Lifecycle of HDD, monitors etc if always on.

Dont think always on is necessary in most home environs.
                  Plus all Windows esp W95-98 need to be flushed with a full reboot consistently each day for proper working order IMO.
                  Splash

Comment

Upgrade to WinXP will solve the instability after being on for ages.
                    ya can get programs to recover unrecovered memory
                    get a UPS and lightning and other power surges wont matter.
                    as for 'green', turn of power saving features.
                    lifecycle wont matter cause the power saving features will turn em off when idle

and as for a program set to reboot while in hybernate mode, that wouldnt work. while in hybernate mode the program isnt active untill the puter wakes up from hybernate.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdkiller
                      Upgrade to WinXP will solve the instability after being on for ages. THIS WILL COST 0+
                      ya can get programs to recover unrecovered memory TRUE BUT THEY USE MEMORY THEMSELVES
                      get a UPS and lightning and other power surges wont matter. THIS WILL COST 0 - 0
                      as for 'green', turn of power saving features. POWER SAVING USES LESS POWER NOT NO POWER
                      lifecycle wont matter cause the power saving features will turn em off when idle

and as for a program set to reboot while in hybernate mode, that wouldnt work. while in hybernate mode the program isnt active untill the puter wakes up from hybernate.
                      THE IDEA WAS TO USE THE OTHER PROGRAM TO:
                      1. HIBERNATE AT A CERTAIN TIME.
                      2. UNHIBERNATE AT A LATER TIME
                      3. REBOOT & READY TO ROLL
                      ADMITTEDLY I'M NOT SURE THAT THE PROGRAM MENTIONED OR ANY OTHER CAN HIBERNATE THEN UNHIBERNATE BUT IT'S A GOOD IDEA!

CHEERS
                      Splash

Comment

Anyone heard of system specs or msconfig?

Ok

Start.... .. Run

Type: MSCONFIG

then hit return or ok

goto the Startup tab.... and delselect all the unessary stuffs like msn messenger icq etc what isn't needed but leave systray on

Another thing is you could give some system specs to average out the approx time... : party ha or you could go around beefys house... and watch some football or cricket :D

(If ya can b @$$ED)

Sammy

Comment

It will be a banner day indeed when a desktop system + reliable software transforms the PC into the reliable, working tool that we all know it could be:thumb:

Don't hold your breathe though:laugh:
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Agree whole-heartedly MR C!

But i also agree with Sammy's point too
                            (Man am I easy going or what!)

The Windows OS is more stable than it gets credit for.
                            The problem is all the junk loaded in it.
                            All the background processes and rubbish programs.
                            It's hard to make the OS bullet-proof when u run $hit programs on it.
                            And some of MS own programs are the worst - early versions of office for example.

i think the new versions W2K & XP are getting better each time even if they are resource hungry mothers.

cheers
                            Splash

Comment

to turn the system on (not standby) then most computers nowadays have the wake up on alarm option that will enable u to specify a time at which the computer turns on...

software cant tell a computer to start if it isn't running, however in hibernate mode, i am sure that somefin works whilst its hibernating...

Comment

Working...
                              X