Computer Freezing During Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Freezing During Games

I just built a brand new computer and i am using windows 64 bit to run it. It will randomly crash or freeze up in meezely games. Like The GodFather and sim city 4 or BLack and white 2. iT willl freeze and crash. My friend has the same problem the computer specs are almost comparible to mine.

Asus a8ne
    ATHLONX2 64 bit 3800x2
    1 gig patriot ram
    160 gig SATA2
    LIGHTSCRIBE DUAL LAYER DVD
    500 watt
    evga 6800gs
    MY FRIENDS SPECS
    AMD 64 4000
    2 gig ram
    70 gig raptor
    80 gig SATA2
    ASUS A8NE
    EVAga 6800gs
    BOTH RUNNING 64 bit windows both having same problems

Re: Computer Freezing During Games

can i use a nvidia driver for a evga card to

Comment

Yes of course you can use genuine Nvidia drivers, Actually, That's what I reccommend you do. Just go to Nvidia's site and download the latest video drivers. But before you install the new ones, uninstall the old evga drivers then re-boot then you can install the new ones.Also update all of your other hardware drivers.

Comment

well i did that and it did freeze less but it still freezes is it windows thats doing it. MAyhbe they havent gotten all the bugs out yet

Comment

I'm thinking that windows XP64 does not like the older games as they are 32 bit games. Win64 is "supposed" to be compatable with 32 bit applications, but in my experiance some do not work as they are supposed to.

Comment

What brand power supplies are they? What temperatures are you getting on the CPU and video card? Are you using the most recent drivers from nVidia?

64-bit Windows XP has absolutely no problem with games in my experience (it's the only thing I've used on my Athlon 64 system), except for certain games using the Starforce protection system, which won't even install due to the fact that it uses drivers to work and only uses 32-bit drivers. That's okay, because no game using that protection is worth playing simply because it's not worth risking the problems commonly caused by it. In any case, the problems associated with XP Pro x64 are not relevent to this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
              64-bit Windows XP has absolutely no problem with games in my experience (it's the only thing I've used on my Athlon 64 system), except for certain games using the Starforce protection system, which won't even install due to the fact that it uses drivers to work and only uses 32-bit drivers. That's okay, because no game using that protection is worth playing simply because it's not worth risking the problems commonly caused by it. In any case, the problems associated with XP Pro x64 are not relevent to this problem.
              Yawgm0th, maybe you already know this but if you happen to run into another game with that protection, then use StarForceClean to get rid of the drivers. It does a very good job in my opinion. Judging by some of the games you've mentioned playing in the past you might like Space rangers 2 wich is a recently released starforce protected game.
              http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_8.shtml

Comment

iam not using the most recent nvidia dreivers i am using evga drivers and powersupply is a expensive one it s good in my friends comp buti n my iam using a asys 450 watt psu it has its random crashes. LIke i installed ADOBE CS@ yesterday now i cant play black and white 2 more then 2 minutes. The tems are under 40c easily. iam using zalman. other wise then that idk.
                SO you r saying its the drivers

Comment

Your PSU might be an issue. The particular symptoms point to it, and the brand and wattage probably aren't sufficient for that system.

Update your drivers to the latest on nVidia.com. I would very rarely recommend using whatever drivers the card manufacturers provide.

Wasn't familiar with that Spongebob, but I've yet to try any Starforce games. Unless some must-play games comes out, I don't think I will. I found out about the X64 problem the hard way with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.
                  Last edited by Yawgm0th; 05-06-2006, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88
                    I just built a brand new computer and i am using windows 64 bit to run it. It will randomly crash or freeze up in meezely games. Like The GodFather and sim city 4 or BLack and white 2. iT willl freeze and crash. My friend has the same problem the computer specs are almost comparible to mine.

Asus a8ne
                    ATHLONX2 64 bit 3800x2
                    1 gig patriot ram
                    160 gig SATA2
                    LIGHTSCRIBE DUAL LAYER DVD
                    500 watt
                    evga 6800gs
                    MY FRIENDS SPECS
                    AMD 64 4000
                    2 gig ram
                    70 gig raptor
                    80 gig SATA2
                    ASUS A8NE
                    EVAga 6800gs
                    BOTH RUNNING 64 bit windows both having same problems
                    your pc is demanding more power from the noname p\s.and for 2. i would get another gig of ram so it runs in true dual channel unless your running 2x512?its actually quite simple in this case,your parts need juice and when not fed that juice they freeze from being being under watted.on occasion if u tweak the memory timings vs stock this can cause massive instability and freezing as well...nice rig tho bro,keep us postedand im curiuos what kind of powersupply does your freind have? antec,ocz,pc power only.450 watt and up should cost $100.
                    Last edited by bf2nut; 05-05-2006, 08:36 PM.
                    Stacker830 Watercooled
                    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Working...
                    X