X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful Freeware Utilities

Security
    Ad-Aware SE - Powerful spyware removal tool. Completely free and better than most paid programs.
    Spybot - Search and Destroy - Powerful spyware removal tool. Completely free and better than most paid programs.
    Zone Alarm - Good software firewall for basic users and experts alike.
    AVG Anti-virus Free Edition - Great antivirus program that is comparable to or better than any retail antivirus software out there.
    Avast Antivirus - Another good freeware antivirus program
    CWShredder - Tool for removing the widespread "Cool Web Search" spyware, which is often difficult to remove without this.
    HijackThis - Powerful tool for manually fixing spyware-related problems and viral infections; generally meant to be used by or with help from an experienced user or expert.
    Hitman Pro - Another spyware removal program
    Diagnostic, Benchmarking, Overclocking and Stress-testing
    CPU-Z - Small, yet in-depth program that tells all of the details of your processor, RAM, and motherboard.
    Memtest86+ - Extremely effective program for testing the stability of memory; this is a must-have for checking memory overclocks and for bad sticks.
    SequoiaView - Useful tool that provides a graphic display of your hard drive's used space; very good for removing things to free up space if you can't figure out what's using it.
    3DMark and PCMark - Synthetic Benchmarking programs that give you what are essentially meaningless numbers that are supposed to indicate the performance of your computer. This is kind of silly in that regard, but the programs are useful for stress-testing.
    SiSoft SANDRA - Extremely useful tool that provides a huge array of diagnostic and benchmarking functions, as well as some stress-testing ones. If your motherboard didn't come with a general monitoring program, than this may be very useful to you.
    ATI Tool - Incredible tool for overclocking Radeon graphics cards as well as testing for artifacts on most graphics cards.
    Rivatuner - Program that offers greatly improved overclocking and tweaking for GeForce video cards over the options in the nVidia Forceware control panel.
    Speedfan - Program for monitoring fan speeds and temperatures as well as regulating fan speed where possible.
    FRAPS - Awesome little utility for benchmarking and video capture of in-game footage.
    General Applications
    Mozilla Firefox - Incredible open-source browser that has tons of features as well as vastly improved security over Internet Explorer.
    Mozilla Thunderbird - Good open-source email client with some improvements over Outlook, especially in terms of security.
    GAIM - Excellent, open-source instant messaging client that supports a number of networks, including AOL, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC servers.
    Trillian - Great freeware instant messaging client that supports as much as GAIM and more.
    OpenOffice - Incredible open-source word processing sweet that offers all the functionality of Microsoft Office and more, but at no price.
    Disk-related Applications
    PC Inspector File Recovery - File recovery utility with very good functionality and user interface.
    Disk Investigator - Another good file recover utility.
    ISOBuster Useful tool for recovering information off of optical media.
    Active@Kill Disk - Utility that allows you to remove data from hard drives and make it impossible to recover without professional tools and knowledge.
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/ - Another utility for erasing disks.
    Miscellaneous Maintenance Utilities
    Driver Cleaner - Great utility for cleaning out remaining parts of removed drivers.
    RegCleaner Utility that gives you a great deal of control of certain parts of the registry and provides an automated scan to remove or correct bad registry entries.

Feel free to post suggestions as long as it's spyware-free freware or extremely-functional shareware. This is all I'm adding for now, but I know of many other useful freeware programs and I'm sure there are some I don't know about or just don't use. Post your suggestion with link and I'll be happy to add it. I'll also get around to making it look prettier when I feel up to it.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 02-16-2006, 06:35 PM.

Re: Useful Freeware Utilities

Nice yawg, ive d/l 3 so far.

Comment

Driver Cleaner Pro
      Used to clean out remnant code when changing drivers (please read the "Read Me" file before use)

Riva Tuner
      For overclocking, unlocking and monitoring graphics cards (please read the "Read Me" file before use)

Speedfan
      For monitoring m/board sensor chips and regulating fan speeds (please read the "Read Me" file before use)

Fraps
      For ingame onscreen fps and ingame video capture, video capture is limited in the freeware version (please read the "Read Me" file before use)

Free online virus scans

Trendmicro Housecall

Panda Activescan

BitDefender
      Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-16-2006, 02:32 AM. Reason: Added online virus scanners
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Disk util for erasing disks
        Darik's boot and Nuke: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

free antivirus
        Avast AntiVirus home Edition: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

spyware/malware cleaner
        hitmanPro: http://hitmanpro.nl/

Comment

http://www.theorica.net/download.htm

Safe XP
          Allows users to quickly tweak various security and privacy related settings in XP. The options include Media Player settings, Services settings (error reporting, time synch, remote registry etc.), as well as and option to remove items from the Start menu, network security settings and more.
          Safe XP improves your system performance and makes Windows to run faster, more secure and reliable!
          It is suitable for beginners and experts!

Screenshot - http://www.theorica.net/download/safeXPscr.gif

I have this, I don't really notice many changes except for a few things like removing recent documents :D, but it seems to work fine without any problems.

Comment

Here are some of my freeware picks:

System Cleaning and Maintenance
            CCleaner - System junk and temporary files cleaner, registry cleaner
            ERUNT - Registry backup software
            MRU-Blaster - Most Recently Used lists cleaner
            NTREGOPT - Registry deframenter
            General Applications
            FlashGet - Download manager, helps speed up download, supports resume and streaming media
            FahMon - Folding@Home monitoring software, gives WU status for console version
            GetDiz - Small and handy text viewer, supports .NFO's
            Foxit PDF Reader - Alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader
            Sysinternals Aurotuns - System startup manager
            Sysinternals TCPView - Listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system
            Security
            PeerGuardian - Secure IP blocker
            SpywareBlaster - ActiveX based spyware blocker
            Multimedia & Imaging Applications
            DVD2SVCD - All-in-one suite for encoding DVD, DVB, VOB, MPEG or AVI into DVD, SVCD or VCD
            DVDAuthorGUI - DVD authoring software
            DVDFab Decrypter - DVD protection remover
            DVD Rebuilder Free - One-click DVD compressor (DVD-9 to DVD-5), my favourite. Slow yet gives great quality
            DVD Shrink - One-click DVD compressor (DVD-9 to DVD-5). To be used as alternative to DVD Rebuilder Free. Acceptable quality, though terrible at 30%+ compression
            IrfanView - Popular graphic viewer. Supports nearly every format
            Subtitle Workshop - Video subtitle editor. Supports viewing video and subtitle editing in real-time
            Winamp - Multimedia player, supports skins
            XnView - Graphic viewer, I use this because of it's browser, much better than Irfanview in the latter

Comment

Data Recovery Wizard free to try for data recovery.

Comment

VLC Media Player

VLC Media Player.. basically I just use this to play movies that are in the .bin format but it works well for all types of video and has some helpful little functions....

http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Pl...l?tag=pdp_prod

iTunes- Win Amp sucks, Windows Media sucks. and I know what your going to say, so just stop.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/
                Last edited by Brennan; 09-08-2006, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Hey zenphic !

Thanx a lot for your information on freeware.
                  <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_235196", true); </SCRIPT>

Comment

Admin
                    TweakTown Forum,

How to avoid the adds in the post. Can u help me out?

Comment

Thanx a lot , i've followed your suggestion.

Comment

[removed]
                        Last edited by Darthtanion; 09-26-2006, 11:31 AM.

Comment

a demo for overpriced software is hardly freeware :-p

Comment

VLC stopped playing for me in Vista..

GOM player works great! http://www.gomplayer.com/main.html

This is a very useful thread, btw!
                            Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
                            Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
                            CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
                            CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
                            GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

GOM Player is pretty good, though it lacks internal QuickTime support
                              You can check out KMPlayer too, I think it is Vista compatible

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X