Backup Software Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Software Needed

Heres the deal. I need a software backup solution that would be very thorough, backing up windows settings, applications, and downloads and could be burnable onto a disc for recovery onto a fresh windows instalation.

See, I found a computer with an ABIT KR7A mobo in it, which I would be able to O/C on 100 times better than my current. And I can switch them for free. But the other person doesnt want ot have to go through the hassle of a reinstall of windows. So, can this be done? I really hope theres software out there to do this.
    Danke in advance.

if you switch mobos, you really need to reinstall windows too. As for backup, Windows has a backup utility that will pretty much copy everything to CD (or whatever), but that will also include any current problems and the drivers for the current mobos.

Personally, the best backup for me is just burning the important stuff to CD and let the rest get wipped by the format.

Comment

Ugh, this is gonna be a tough sell, but it should be worth it...
      I hate family :)

Comment

the software your looking for is called Ghost by Symantec

it'll make a perfect backup of the current system, you can then play around with it to your hearts content, safe in the knowledge that at any time you can restore it back.

What it won't do is make a backup that you restore to a different chipset, it just bSOD

by the way what sort of disk are u gonna burn this all 2, not many cd's I know of are big enought to fit a whole HD on, the easiest way to use ghost is to backup to a fat 32 HD.

Ghost does support the following
        Network, USB Drive CDdrives & HD's, not sure about DVD burner's so you should have plenty of option as to where you can store your image.
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar
          Ghost does support the following
          Network, USB Drive CDdrives & HD's, not sure about DVD burner's so you should have plenty of option as to where you can store your image.
          AFAIK, version 7.5 and better supports DVD burning. Could be wrong though.

Another thing when backup up an entire OS for a different computer is you need to reset the SID before you try run it on another system. It's just more hassle

Comment

Working...
          X