just encountered msblast.exe (worm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beefy
    Ahhh, the benefits of a decent hardware firewall. :)
    yeah arent they great? telstra actually supplied me with something that isnt that bad to work with.

i leave my computer on 24/7 and havent got it, but i installed the patch anyway.

nearly everyone i know runs winXP and everyones got it. nasty bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
      DigitalDD
      since you experienced it your self, i can't say anything but after applying those patches DoS attacks can just cause your net connection to crash while keeping your PC safe and running. thus i would recommend that you consider re-checking the updates and if possible install a firewall.
      it really was a friend not a "friend" : peace2: I have myself a nice Coyote Linux based firewall here running off an old slimline Compaq 386..

Comment

Yeah, good ol' Windows 98.
        It's got it's fair share of problems, but at least we did escape this one.

Friend of mine fell victim to Blaster, disinfected, used System Restore - proceeded to lose 11 files between the infection and the restore point.

Gave him this ever-ready linkage;
        disk, forensics, search, investigate, forensic, drive, security, clean, recover, recovery

Yep, Disk Investigator, you've heard me mention it before and thought some of you might be able to make use of it now.

All 11 files recovered in perfect condition:thumb:

So, if you do find yourself in the same boat he did, there's maybe a hope for you.
        Good Luck
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Looks like there is a mad dash to windows update :laugh: I just thought I'd head over to Win. Update and their servers are the slowest I've ever seen. At first I thought it was just on my end, but after checking around it seems pretty common. Just seems kinda funny that it takes something like this to send everyone running for the latest updates.

From what I've read, it was pretty lousy programing too. Probably some kid who picked up a 'How to...for Dummies' book. I just hate to think what will happen when real programmer get a hold of this and decides to have some real 'fun'...

Comment

Actually Mr.C. I got that DCOM fault on a Win98 machine at work so it's not limiting the versions but M$ is limiting its patches to what versions they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueyes
              Actually Mr.C. I got that DCOM fault on a Win98 machine at work so it's not limiting the versions but M$ is limiting its patches to what versions they want.
              I'd be quite interested to learn the exact method of infection:?:
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

im hearing all sorts of things that this virus does:

from internet connections that disconnect every 60secs, from shutdowns in 60secs, to the worm attacks windowsupdate.com from a infected computer.

looks like the 60sec shutdown is the prominent symtom.

:shoot3:

Comment

yup 60sec shut-down - hence the need to reinstall to start-up.
                  I got infected via the service provider as everyone is being hit - one mate even pulled out his phone when he caught it trying to download itself onto his puter!:eek:

Comment

One of my clients had the 60 sec shut down but I was able to stop that by disconnecting their DSL line. It was like a DoS attack on port 135. Once I did that I was able to install and run a virus removal tool, patch their windows and update their Norton.

Full scan cleaned up the rest of the junk and they are good to go now.

Although much more aware of the need to keep their computer updated!!! :hammer:

The 60 second restart seems to be from internet traffic scanning port 135. If you disconnect from the internet you should be able to boot up but the computer runs VERY slowly until you get rid of the virus.

Comment

Lucky Win98 runnin *******s got lucky!!!!!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

That be me:flames: :flames: :flames: :rofl: :shh:

Comment

Working...
                      X