Intel or AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel or AMD

I'm contemplating buying a new system and I can't really decide on which processor to get, Intel or AMD... Im more to the intel side because of the following reason:-

1. Its tried and tested
    2. brand name/goodwill
    3. resale value
    4. AMD has overhaeating problems
    5. AMD has lost its price advantage over the intel, the diff is very marginal now
    6. Intel now beats AMD, as it now supports 533 Mhz FSB.

the reason why Im still confused is that Ive heard so much recommendations about AMD, so Im wondering why is it so.. thanks and have a nice day.

Jinu Johnson

it's lost it's price advantage? i recently bought a 2100+...it was $130us cheaper than the intel equivlent!

I'm a die hard fan of AMD and I could go on and bash all of your reasons for going with Intel, but it sounds like you have allready made up your mind.

Comment

actually I havent made up my mind, its just that Ive had the 8088, 286,386,486 DX2, Pentium, PIII 500 and now want to upgrade.. so naturally for me PIV would be the way to go, but Ive heard so much about AMD that its at the back of my mind and am thiking abuot giving it a try.. having been a long time Intel user, the reasons I gave above are the apprehnesions of an intel user.. maybe you as an AMD user could put some of my doubts to rest.....

Jinu Johnson

Comment

1/ so is AMD

2/ bull****

3/ what resale value?

4/ what overheating problems?

5/ more bull****

6/ what ever gives ya this idea?

M8 you really need to do more homework before ya spit out those sort of statements. That's what we'd expect from a know nothin' n00b who goes and buys a Name brand PC just because it has a name without findin' out what the draw backs are till it's far too late. :hammer:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

looks like wiggo did it for me:p

Comment

Well I was asking for your inputs, not just diss me off.. why is it that when it comes to intel vs amd ... microsoft vs linux ppl dont call a spade a spade and get fanatical... supporting underdogs are good.. but blind faith aint my friend wiggo...

Let me run it by you again...

The overheating problems I mentioned was with experinces from the old AMD K6, its very well known

as for the price difference, lets the facts speak for themselves.............

Intel Boxed Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.53GHz 512K on-die cache 533MHz front-side bus 478-pin FC-PGA2 package 0.13-micron process technology BX80532PE2533D $306.99

AMD AthlonXP 2600 $297

Price Difference: $9.99

Jinu Johnson

Comment

M8 if ya were floatin' the same type of misinformed statements about Intel or any other brand around my responce would be just the same. ;)

Overheating problems are not related to the processors themselves but the fools who assembled them with inadequate cooling in the first place (again no homework done). :(

Oh and overall the XP2600+ it more the equivelant of the P4 2.66 thank you so the prices are much more different. I have a brand new P4 2.4B @ 2.7GHz here and it's only just faster in the real world terms than my XP2200+ @1900MHz.

So again I'll tell you that if you spout uninformed statements then no matter what forums you're at you will get shot down. The best idea would be to do some homework first or don't spout those sort of statements. Better educated posts in future will prevent this happenin' again so take it as a lesson and learn from it. :devil win

< /rant>

Comment

*lobs a chill pill into the conversation* ;)

Comment

I was a computer technician in the old days, and like you, would not stray from intel--I had a 286, then a 386, then a 486, then a few Pentiums and Pentium II's. We wouldn't think of touching Cyrix or AMD K6 processors--and yes, the old K6's were known to have real overheating problems.

When the first Athlon came out though, that swayed me a bit, and when I went to buy a new computer a little while after, the price difference for the same performance was huge, so I went with an Athlon.

Since then, I've found, Athlons perform on par if not better than much more expensive Pentiums. The price gap has closed somewhat, but for the best bang for the buck, I would go with AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo

Overheating problems are not related to the processors themselves but the fools who assembled them with inadequate cooling in the first place (again no homework done). :(
                    Why "fan" the flame???... forget the cooling, evaluate both the processors sans the cooling, the point being an intel processor and an AMD processor both put to test without extra cooling then the AMD is just bound to heat up.... so here again a good cooling system is essential for an AMD while it is preferable for an Intel....

hmm I came here trying to clear me doubts and end up backing the goliath: peace:

Jinu Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Malabooboo
                      I was a computer technician in the old days, and like you, would not stray from intel--I had a 286, then a 386, then a 486, then a few Pentiums and Pentium II's. We wouldn't think of touching Cyrix or AMD K6 processors--and yes, the old K6's were known to have real overheating problems.

ahh thank God ...alteast somebody thinks Im sane after all..

Jinu Johnson

Comment

Look I've been buildin' these things to for nearly 5yrs now and mainly correcting cooling problems with AMD's due to inadequate cooling (most a poor choice a case with bad air flow and still using HSF's that where fine on much older and slower CPU's) which is why I come back to bad homework (this same thing gave VIA a bad start as well because ppl would not learn some simple installation rules). What you should have posted is something more like this;
                        <blockquote>Hi I'm looking to looking to buy a new system for about so much and I'll be using it mainly to do such and such with a bit of this thrown in plus I usually use these apps in my day to day business.
                        Now I've never used AMD before so I don't know much about them at all so could everyone please give me there opinions on the pros and cons for both keeping in mind my required uses plus give me any suggestions for my full hardware setup and why.
                        </blockquote> Now by starting the way you did will always guarantee the same responces which now you can hopefully see but if not then that's very sad and you can do as ya like and I'll take no further part here but DO give it some thought. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                          Look I've been buildin' these things to for nearly 5yrs now and mainly correcting cooling problems with AMD's due to inadequate cooling (most a poor choice a case with bad air flow and still using HSF's that where fine on much older and slower CPU's) which is why I come back to bad homework (this same thing gave VIA a bad start as well because ppl would not learn some simple installation rules). What you should have posted is something more like this;
                          <blockquote>Hi I'm looking to looking to buy a new system for about so much and I'll be using it mainly to do such and such with a bit of this thrown in plus I usually use these apps in my day to day business.
                          Now I've never used AMD before so I don't know much about them at all so could everyone please give me there opinions on the pros and cons for both keeping in mind my required uses plus give me any suggestions for my full hardware setup and why.
                          </blockquote> Now by starting the way you did will always guarantee the same responces which now you can hopefully see but if not then that's very sad and you can do as ya like and I'll take no further part here but DO give it some thought. ;)

Well you are very right there wiggo.... my sincerest apologies... hmm it came out the wrong way didnt it... I guess I should have made it more clear in the first post itself that Ive never used an AMD system before, and also that look there are my doubts about the AMD could you please clarify..... mistake accepted: peace2:

Jinu Johnson

Comment

I'm very glad that you now see the bigger picture. :thumb:

Ok then lets start again, so how much are ya lookin' to spend on this (I take it that we're talkin' US $) and what's goin' to be ya main functions with it as this will decide in which direction to go. Both CPU's are entirely different in their contruction and where the P4 is a better audio/video editin' CPU the AMD is better at raw code and floating point operations. Also raw speed cannot be a consideration between the 2 as a P4 carries out 6 instructions per cycle and has 1 FPU while the Athlon does 9 instructions per cycle plus it has 3 FPU's. Another thing to consider is the type of case ya use as both are very hot runners and require decent airflow for trouble free operation. ;)

<center> </center>

Comment

Well I'm planning to buy the MB, Ram, Processor, Case in one go and the rest in the next phase as I can use the peripherals from my current system till then.

Frankly speaking Im blown by your stats, before I bought me PIII I did a similar analysis and the AMD were way way behind in Floating Point Calcs... now they lead?? wow!!!.... have not kept up with the AMD systems at all.. think I should take a deeper look..

As for me budge at the first phase Im not planning to restrict myself to around $600... so what would your suggestions be... for the budget would you suggest the AMD based sys or an Intel based one.....

... I already mentioned that I have not at all kept abreast with AMD based systems.. so how is it that AMD based systems beat 533 FSB mhz intels ... how do they beat them with the 266 mhz FSBS... if they do will they enjoy the same advantage with hyperthreaded intels also..

Jinu Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X