Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for new gaming rig

Hi all!

I read many reviews on this website and I found them very useful.
    I already have a general idea, but I still have some doubts. I waited for the 8th gen i7 to be released and now I am ready to build a new gaming computer. I will use it for gaming and for some work where multithreading is very useful (astrophotography processing).

So far here is what I considered:
    - Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    - Intel i7-8700K
    - Cooler NZXT Kraken X52 Rev. 2
    - ASUS Maximus X Hero or MSI Gaming M5 or MSI Pro Carbon AC
    - DDR4-3200 2x8GB
    - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    - Corsair AX860i PSU
    - Samsung 960 EVO 512GB M.2 + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
    - BR/DVD reader/writer (I will likely pick a DVD writer, I'm not planning to watch movies on the PC)
    - Corsair mouse and keyboard
    - Monitor 1440p 24", in the future I will use 2 monitors

I'm not planning to pass the 3000$ mark and this configuration is within this limit so far.
    I highlighted in bold what I haven't decided yet.

Motherboard
    My understanding is that, really, at the level of the boards indicated the performance is pretty much the same.
    I think that the Gaming M5 is a very nice board, that comes with a set of accessories and features. I don't plan to perform hardcore overclocking, but I'm planning to boost the frequency in the future, so I don't need an extreme OC board but a reasonably featured one.
    Any recommendations with reference to this?

RAM
    I don't think that spending a lot of money for higher frequency memory automatically grants higher performance (in real life I mean, not in benchmarks).
    Considering the price of DDR4, I think that right now buying 2x8GB is enough, with the option of buying 2 more 8GB banks in the future.
    I am considering the G.Skill and the Corsair Vegeance.

Storage
    Initially I was considering a single 1TB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro, but for the price of a 1TB M.2 drive I can get a 512GB one + 2TB hybrid drive + about 130$ left.

Monitor
    The idea here is to avoid spending too much, but still get a valid screen with 1440p resolution.
    I would like to buy a 24" screen with the option of adding a second screen in the future.
    A friend is selling a Lenovo L24q, but my understanding is that for the money I can find much better screens on the market.
    Any suggestions? What other models should I consider?

Thank you for your comments/suggestions!

Re: Ready for new gaming rig

I did a build last wk that is around the same 3K range..

PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2, Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
    Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB... - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.00 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($369.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($459.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card ($769.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $3033.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-21 01:20 EST-0500

Its a beast :D

Comment

Working...
    X