ECC vs. Non ECC memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECC vs. Non ECC memory

Probably a dumb question to you guys: what's the difference between ECC ram and non ECC ram?

I'm looking to buy 256 megs of ram for an asus a7s333 mobo, and was wondering if it would take both types of memory.

I'm not familiar with the motherboard you mentioned - but I doubt it supports ECC RAM. ECC is really only necessary in very high end workstations and medium to large scale servers - and even in some of those applications the benefits are dubious.
    Stick with good quality unbuffered, nonparity.

Comment

thanks for clearing that up for me!

<a href="http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/product.asp?sku=10330704&loc=15908"><fon t color="blue">this</font></a> will work right? (i'm on a tight budget)

Comment

I'm not real familiar with Viking Ram - you might want to look here
        Find compatible DRAM memory and SSD upgrades for your PC or Laptop with our Crucial Advisor tool or Crucial System Scanner, with FREE US delivery!

An unbuffered nonparity 256MB dimm of PC2100 is $63 w/free 2nd day shipping - so the cost will be comparable & Crucial is always top quality

Comment

Ecc ram is "error correction code" ram. Here's a link to an article that will explain this and more about ram.

Comment

wow, great information--thanks guys for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X