KG7-RAID vs. KR7A-RAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KG7-RAID vs. KR7A-RAID

I'm looking at these two boards, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one.

Stuff I'm gonna buy for it or with it:
    -256MB Crucial DDR
    -Antec 400 W PSU
    -Athlon XP 1600+
    -Vantec CCK-6035D

Stuff I have already:
    -PNY Verto GF2Ti
    -SB Audigy
    -D-Link DFE538TX+ NIC
    -Maxtor 40GB + 2 that are bein RMA'd :(
    -Toshiba 12x DVD
    -Samsung 48x CD
    -Floppy (for loading HPT drivers if necessary)
    -Lots of fans (at least 5)
    KG7-RAID
    33.33%
    KR7A-RAID
    66.67%

KR7A would be my choice. The KT266A chipset has been consistently beating out the AMD chipset based boards in benchmarking and real-world testing. Also, if you have a mind to overclock, you'll more than likely get much better results with the VIA based board.

I have the EPoX version of the one you're looking at and they have leaked a beta BIOS that allows for a better PCI multiplier. I have seen results of FSB speeds in excess of 225MHz. I don't know if Abit has a similar BIOS revision, but it might be worth a look at the EPoX line if not. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I'm looking at the on-board RAID, which the Epox doesn't have. I'd consider Epox based on all the raves they get, but the board just doesn't have the features I'm looking for.

Comment

Yep... gotta get the features you need. So check into a BIOS for that board. Since the chipset is the same, it should be available either now or soon (hopefully). :)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Word has it that an EPoX board with RAID is due out soon. ;)
          <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
            -Maxtor 40GB + 2 that are bein RMA'd :(

Bit off topic here, but have you been overclocking? Maxtor HDD's are the absolute WORST when it comes to high bus speeds
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Well, the thing is, I've had this thing OC'd for months and only had this problem until recently. I've heard the same thing about IBM drives, and I think it's a load of bull****.

The OC was just a 107MHz FSB, due to the KT133 chipset.

I'm gonna buy within the next two weeks--at least the mobo and ram. The top speed is not absolutely necessary, but I do want a stable platform.

If it's still available, I may get the Epox 8K7A+ RAID, since it's very cheap. My only gripe with it is the limit of 2 DIMM slots, but it's highly unlikely I'll be slapping in 1 gig of RAM anytime soon.

I also like the HighPoint controllers more than the Promise ones.

Comment

Well, the thing is, I've had this thing OC'd for months and only had this problem until recently. I've heard the same thing about IBM drives, and I think it's a load of bull****.

The OC was just a 107MHz FSB, due to the KT133 chipset.

Well, I'm sure a lot of other people can back me up on the Maxtor issue - but a 107MHz FSB wouldn't have been enough to make them fail methinks ;)
                What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I'm looking at the on-board RAID, which the Epox doesn't have. I'd consider Epox based on all the raves they get, but the board just doesn't have the features I'm looking for.
                  the Epox 8KHA+ does't come with Raid - True
                  However Epox does make a HPT370 Raid PCI add in card for about $30US

the cost of the Epox Motherboard + the Raid card is still cheaper than the Abit Raid solution - although you loose 1 of 6 PCI slots

Price may not be a primary consideration for you - but I thought I'd mention it

Comment

The thing I think went bad was the on-board Promise controller. A bad controller could hose the system, but I saw the same scenario with my MSI 694D Pro a while back when it crapped out.

The thing is, I really don't care if I get the KT266A board or the AMD761/Via 686B mix. I want a board that will work well first before overclocking.

Right now, I probably won't OC immediately, just because of how things have been going in PC land. Plus, I'm not getting the parts all at once. My paychecks aren't that big (I wish)

Comment

Hmm. Now I just saw that Newegg has the Iwill KK266-R up for $119 USD, which is now gotten into the tempting category. Iwill, along with Epox are two I've been meaning to try out, so now I need more opinions. My other choice is the EPoX 8K7A+RAID for $105 at newegg, also--unless they don't get anymore in.

I just sold one of my books for 48 bucks and picked up a stick of Samsung 256MB PC2100 DDR. At this point, I'm not gonna be too picky about overclocking, thoug it would be nice. I just want my PC back. Waaaaaaah:cry:

Comment

Whoops. Scratch the Iwill. I re-looked and it ain't no DDR board.
                        Epox is in the running still.

Comment

Hey, I heard something on another forum about the HPT372 and Via chipsets being incompatible. I sure haven't heard anything, but that is a concern here. I don't believe it's an issue, but I wanna check and a link to the source would be nice.

Comment

Even though it is still 760, Kg7-Raid's are on pricewatch for $118. That could prolly fir in your budget with the right features. Thats what i use and it OC really nice. Though i will admit the Epox KT266a variety do OC better. The KR7A-RAID would be killer, but like you said its a little more money. KG7's work well when you get a good bios performance guide and the new bios. My RAID is fast and i haven't had problems with the HDD yet, even on a 23MHz FSB OC. So....

Comment

I might consider a new board, but only if I can't resolve my Radeon 8500 troubles with my AOpen AK77 Pro (KT266).

Comment

Working...
                              X