Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gaming/Multimedia Computer

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone could offer any variations in this system and its future performance..
    ASUS 24x10X40 CD Writer RETAIL PACK
    ASUS 52x CD-ROM
    ASUS 16X DVD ROM RETAIL PACK
    ASUS A7V333/A VIA KT333
    Creative INSPIRE5700 5.1 Speaker
    ASUS V8170 GeForce 4 MX440
    Seagate 60Gb Barracuda ATA IV (2x)
    AMD XP 2100 1.73GHz 266MHz
    256M PC2700 DDRRAM (2x)
    Pansonic 1.44 Floppy Disk Drive
    SB Audigy Digital Entertaiment Platinum
    ThermalTake Volcano 7+ Socket A/370
    Unspecific Case(ATX Midi-Tower I picked up for 70$ AUS at Enisun)
    Microsoft Internet Pro
    Logitech Dual Optical
    I have already aquired the case, cdrom, soundcard, floppy and motherboard.
    I'm looking to make it a heavily music/media oriented system, with gaming included. I'm also looking to mod/overclock the case/inards to some extent (Window, fans, ramsinks and the like).
    Anyhow, any coments on how to improve it would be apprieciated.
    Thanks in advance! :D

Get rid of the CDROM drive if your getting a DVD player.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

unless you know you will use 3 CDROMS at the same time you won't need the ASUS 52x CD-ROM

with all that top quality stuff there, you really should get a "non-generic" case and some good cooling
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies :)
        I was going with a Lian-Li 60 USB, but some friends advised against buying it straight away and spending $350 on a case at the start.
        EDIT: I've sort of got a tight budget this next two months, so that sorta cuts the case idea.
        to the Asus cdrom then :/.

Comment

Buying a Lian Li is worth the extra $$$ - They are great.
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

From what I've seen, everyone who is seriously into modding, gets an Alluminium case. Are there any other cases that are close to Lian-Li's, but cheaper?
            The most expensive part now is the speakers (643.5 /w GST).
            Who knows, maybe I can scab some money of my parents..and claim it on, um, Christmas prezzies for 3 years.

Comment

Coolermaster maybe.
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

There are some interesting cases there..Now that I've actually thought of it. Parhaps I should just get the comp up and running (without modding it that can be taken off). Then, once the monies come in, buy up a Lian-Li or the likes :D.
                I knew I forgot somthing, the monitor :/. Personally, I want somthing between 17' and 19', although I don't want to break the bank. Achieva only has Hansol and Daewoo monitors(which sucks just a tad).

Comment

Andy, Albinus and myself are using these cases. ;)
                  http://www.eyo.com.au/details.html?C..._number=G-H600

Comment

Save some money by getting an SB Audigy X-Gamer in stead of the Platinum you listed....

Also, pickup a Plextor 24x10x40 burner in place of that Asus

Consider the Logitech Z560 4.1 Surround sound speaker setup....ask anyone, AMAZING speakers

In place of the ASUS V8170 GeForce 4 MX440 i would recommend getting a GF4 Ti4200, MUCH better performance in the same price range

Of course, drop the Asus 52x CD-ROM if you're getting a DVD Drive. You may want to consider a Pioneer DVD-ROM.....

And if you're "heavily into music/media/gaming" you might want to go for the new and FAST Western Digital "Special Edition" Series of HDs (sold in 80gb, 100gb, and 120gb im pretty sure).

The Seagate 60Gb Barracuda ATA IV (2x) you picked out is VERY quiet, but why not get 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda? heh, not too much more money!

As for motherboards, i haven't dealt with AMD systems as much as some other people in these forums, but you might want to take a look at the EPoX 8KHA+ motherboard.

: peace2: : peace2:

Comment

well, whaddya think?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                        Andy, Albinus and myself are using these cases. ;)
                        http://www.eyo.com.au/details.html?C..._number=G-H600

Go the H600A :thumb:
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Thanks for the options, cHeEsY327 :D
                          One of the problems is that I've already got most of the stuff that you commented on (Motherboard, Soundcard, case, speakers).
                          Also, due to me disliking some of XPs' many faults, I've decided to go back to Win 98 SE (I can actually use EAX Drivers then :|).
                          Only reason why I'm not getting 60gb+ hddrives is because 98 won't recognise anything over 60gb.
                          I'm going with the Pioneer DVD(due to a great deal of enthusiasm about them). No CD-ROM anymore :) Although I never knew DVDs could read normal cds.
                          I've worked it out so I only need a couple more hundred, then I can get the ASUS Ti4600, which a great deal of people have recomended.
                          Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
                          I'll definitly make sure I make annother post before the new computer and wait for the verdict :D.
                          I still hope that it'll be a ripper!
                          Thanks all! :flames:

Comment

*cheers* I've been blessed with some more cash from my parents..thus I can extend my case options ;).
                            I can get anything from http://www.pccasegear.com.au/ although if there are any other case distributers in the Melbourne region that have a wider access of cases, please do tell :) My associate is going to Melbourne through the week and will pick up a case for me :)
                            I don't want an Alluminium case..Steel all the way baby :D. :afro:
                            I personally want somthing that has a lot of modding opportunities..
                            Anyhow, thanks for helping me through this troubled time ;):cheers:
                            EDIT: I'm currently planning on going with a Tower Case, although I'm not quite sure about what kind at the moment. If it's not advisable to get a TC, please do yell :D.

Comment

Either of those 1st 2 cases will do ya but remember to order a PSU of good quality to go with it. :smokin:
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X