Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i upgrade my mobo and ram?

hi,

i bought a p41.7 that uses pc-133 sdram, of which i have 512. i was wondering if i should change my my mobo to one that uses ddr pc2700 and get 512 of that. i use my computer for gaming so would the perfomance increase be noticiable? thanks in advance for any help provided.

the performance difference will be MASSIVE...to say the least. SDRAM just can't provide the bandwidth for the p4, in ya can aford it, definitely go for a new mobo, plus DDR...

SDRAM+P4=crap :D

Comment

thanks for the reply. i'll go ahead and buy it. can you recommend a good affordable socket 478 mobo that uses pc 2700? thanks for your help

Comment

you would get a bit betterperformance, BUT just think about the current prices of RAM, at the moment, they are quite high... ad that to a new mobo, that is at least AUS $600 ($300 US) which is quite a lot for just a bit more performance.... but its up to you :)
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

well, if you sell your old RAM/mobo you won't be losing THAT much....but it's still quite a bit.

Comment

do you think it's a good move? would it help increase game performance, or should i just buy more of my current ram? really appreciate some advice

Comment

i think the question is more why would you need your computer to be faster... i mean, yes, you would definatly notice a difference with DDR, but why not wait a while... you've just bought this setup and find a game that your computer wont run well and for sure, upgrade, but i just dont think it would be necessary, spend the money on something else.

Comment

Originally posted by sMURPhiSh
                i think the question is more why would you need your computer to be faster... i mean, yes, you would definatly notice a difference with DDR, but why not wait a while... you've just bought this setup and find a game that your computer wont run well and for sure, upgrade, but i just dont think it would be necessary, spend the money on something else.
                A friend on mine has exactally the same system as me except for the processor and motherboard. We both have geforce2 mx400's and 256 MB RAM....he has a p4 1.8ghz and i have a pIII 450 mhz. And guess what, we get exactally the same score in 3dmark2001. My mx400 is running slightly faster. The fact is, the p4 wasn't designed to use SDRAM. It just can't provide the bandwidth for a p4. It cripples it.

So i'd say, go ahead and sell your mobo and RAM and buy a DDR mobo w/ DDR RAM.

Comment

i know this may sound stupid, but i thought 3dmark only test the video card capabilities, not your entire system, thus tht's why the scores are the same. or am i wrog about this?

Comment

Video capabilities....

Engine capabilities.... if you take the most powerful, most in tune engine and restrict is air intake 75%, what happens? Not much performance...

The video card may be massive, and the system may be powerful, but if it only has a slow stream of data from the ram, it can be severly limited.

Comment

The performance difference will be large, so I would say that since you have the processor, you could get the MOBO and RAM for fairly little.

DDR RAM is up right now, but it has come down from it's high of around $80, I've seen it going now for around $50, but it fluctuates a lot. It's almost like the price of pork bellies on the commodity market.

I would say wait until DDR RAM goes down a little bit, you could save $30 or $40 dollars if you're buying another 512MB, but that is really a pittance for some.

I would say that the best bang for your buck is there. Go for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X